Cold air return question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reaperman

Nov 1, 2006
Central Minn
Ok, I was having some trouble with cold air leaking through my walkout patio door in the basement of my newly constructed home. I called the builder, who called the door/window guy to look at it. The door guy came and was snooping around the basement when he asked about the wood furnace. He said he noticed when the wood furnace, duct blower fan, would kick in, he could feel outside air being drawn through the track on the patio door. Then he mentioned there should be a cold air return ducted to the back of my wood furnace, just like my LP furnace. He said I have negative air pressure in the basement as a result of this. And I should get the heating guy who hooked the whole system up over to vent it correctly. I don't know anything about negative air pressure or cold air return systems but what he said seems to make sense. Does this big box on the back of the wood furnace need venting?? I just assumed the heating guy who set up my HVAC system knew his stuff, perhaps not. Any Idea's ?? Thanks!

Negative pressure situations are always present in basements. Patio doors are also notorious for leaking. You did not mention the manufacture's name. Anderson and Pellas are better built units than builder's specials.

Again what is the manufacture of the wood furnace have you checked the manual to see if a fresh air supply is required Have you checked the manual to see if it has been installed to manufactures specs. Do you have a fuel fired hot water heater? and your clothes dryer in the basement? Is there enough indoor air vollume to satisfy combustion air requirements?
Tell us how every appliance is vented we need more info to give correct advice.

I did manage to find the manual, and yes, it says the furnace must be installed with a cold air return. The furnace is a firechief brand. The manual doesnt mention anything about indoor air volume, only that the system should be installed according to local building codes. As far as other appliances, only the LP furnace and kitchen stove are gas. The rest are electric, and the electric close dryer is upstairs. The furnace and wood furnace are in the basement. The LP furnace is vented through a 2" pvc on the side of the house. The wood furnace chimney is 6"SS, and approx, 25 feet from woodstove to 3' above the outside roof pitch. I now will be contacting a different heating guy to check over my system. Its apparent to me the first guy didnt know anything about wood furnaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.