New home means new stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Trevor M

Jan 18, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Hello. We just moved into a new to us home. There is a much older wood stove in the basement and the ceilings is only 7' high. I have no intentions of ever using this stove as a propane furnace was added 12 years ago and all the venting holes in the floor have been covered, plus its just to dam scary IMO.

So! we are going to install a new stove on the main floor mostly for times when the power goes out.
The stove pad will sit in the almost perfect location, I say almost because there is a cold air return for the furnace up against the wall exactly where I would like to place my stove pad. Is this a problem to build a pad incorporating this cold air return? Is it legal. Other than that all I can see wrong with it is the dust will be sucked in. This can be prevented.

I will post a picture soon.

Thanks

hearth pad.jpg

I think returns need to be 10’ away. It needs moved or just sealed off it’s not that big but I would try and move it.

Just sealing it off could imbalance the system and cause the furnace blower to race. If it is sealed off, it must be replaced with one of equal area (160 sq in ?) at least 10 ft away from the stove location.

I was never planning on sealing it off as it is vital to the furnace's operation. I was intending to place a filter in the vent that could easily be changed if needed since it will suck in any dust laying on the pad. Moving the vent is not an option. I really don't see a problem with it being in the pad but thought Id check here first. When the furnace is on it will draw from the vent, When the stove is on the furnace will not operate as the thermostat is just 10' away.
The stove will have its own cool air intake plumbed to the outside.

I was never planning on sealing it off as it is vital to the furnace's operation. I was intending to place a filter in the vent that could easily be changed if needed since it will suck in any dust laying on the pad. Moving the vent is not an option. I really don't see a problem with it being in the pad but thought Id check here first. When the furnace is on it will draw from the vent, When the stove is on the furnace will not operate as the thermostat is just 10' away.
The stove will have its own cool air intake plumbed to the outside.
Doesn’t matter that you don’t plan on ever running the stove and and furnace together. If the return is not at least 10’ from the stove it’s a code violation.

Reactions: kborndale