Cold in the UK

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

guest5234

We have had record low temprature in the UK over the last week -22 in parts of Scotland and near record snow dumps, global warming my arse..I am sure this little world of ours is getting colder year by year, any low temp records wher you good people live?
Sat Picture of UK

4255650393_ac899f2f2b.jpg

Looks like a white christmas! Enjoy!

Amazing! We have had three days of <-10C the rest usually around 0C (31F). Things have shifted for certain. Is it not the second bad winter in Europe in a row? We had what we called a "non-winter" last year!

Neil we have heard from some other folks who we correspond with over there and they also report big snowfall and cold. Very unusual for you folks and no doubt there are many unprepared.

You are right. In weather like this, we need wood heat! My wife and I just came in from cutting wood and the heat from that wood burning stove is fantastic!

Been hitting close to 50 here the past couple days. The witch hazel and filberts have sprouted catkins. Ironically, with a LaNina cycle, we are supposed to be getting this weather. But I will hold my tongue, winter just started yesterday.

Stay warm over there!!

No record cold for us - record rain. And then even more rain, about 15" in all. Throw in some mudslides and lots of flooding. Now, we are supposed to get a couple of inches of snow. It may be a white Christmas after all!

I heard the Gulf stream is not as strong in the Northern reaches which may be causing the North Atlantic to be colder than Normal. Maybe it is Glowbull Warming causing another little ice age? I'm sure the politicians will blame it on us no matter what just so they can have more control and take away more freedom.

Neil said:
We have had record low temprature in the UK over the last week -22 in parts of Scotland and near record snow dumps, global warming my arse..I am sure this little world of ours is getting colder year by year, any low temp records wher you good people live?

I guess there's just as much misunderstanding in the UK as in the US about "global warming my arse". Those who first started talking about global climate change did the world a major disservice but calling it "global warming". They were predicting an overall average increase of 1-2 degrees over 50-100 years...obviously something no one would ever notice. But what people will notice (and are already noticing) are the massive changes in weather patterns as a result of the small increase in average worldwide temperature.

If those folks had just labelled their forecasts "global climate change" and not "global warming", I think we'd all be able to speak more sensibly about the issue.

+1 @DanCorcoran. One of the predictions of global climate change models is an increase in the frequency of extreme weather events. The UK's cold weather is certainly unusual for the time of year (at least by the standards of recent decades), so is not incompatible with climate change.

Regardless of your views on the rate and extent of climate change (and I'd argue they should be led by evidence and an understanding of the science), wood-burning rather than fossil-fuel burning is a good way to go. Wood is a renewable resource, and burning wood -- at least in the medium- to long-term -- shouldn't be a net contributor to atmospheric CO2, at least if trees are planted to take the place of what you've burned.

Here's to reducing our environmental footprint as much as we can. Cheers!

njburner said:
...at least if trees are planted to take the place of what you've burned.

Here here! Cut a tree, plant a tree...that should be the woodburner's motto, or at least in the woodburner's bible somewhere...

Neil said:

Neil, Is that your stove in your avatar? If it is could you give me the name? Stay warm and from the news it's a good thing your not at a airport trying to fly out.
md

Neil,

Why don't you take a stroll down by the canal and post some pictures of Stratford upon the Avon. Post some Pics of the churches and homes in town.

I've strolled the streets and it's by far my favorite place that I have visited in England. Far better than London.

I would imagine it's beautiful with the snow. !! Anyone traveling to London should take a day to travel to this special town (home to William Shakespere) and theater as we know it. It's an easy train ride from London and Birmingham.

When I visited - I talked with a family who was on holiday and traveling the countryside by canal boat. I helped them with the lock elevator. The canal boats look awesome. I told my wife - that is something I want to do on my bucket list. You are lucky to live in such a cool place.

Attachments

• Stratford.jpg
    Stratford.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 152
  • Stratford-upon-Avon-Shake.jpg
    Stratford-upon-Avon-Shake.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 163
  • anne-hathaway-s-cottage.jpg
    anne-hathaway-s-cottage.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 160
  • clopton-bridge.jpg
    clopton-bridge.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 158
  • clopton-bridge1.jpg
    clopton-bridge1.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 159
njburner said:
+1 @DanCorcoran. One of the predictions of global climate change models is an increase in the frequency of extreme weather events. The UK's cold weather is certainly unusual for the time of year (at least by the standards of recent decades), so is not incompatible with climate change.

Regardless of your views on the rate and extent of climate change (and I'd argue they should be led by evidence and an understanding of the science), wood-burning rather than fossil-fuel burning is a good way to go. Wood is a renewable resource, and burning wood -- at least in the medium- to long-term -- shouldn't be a net contributor to atmospheric CO2, at least if trees are planted to take the place of what you've burned.

Not to highjack... but the earth has warm and cold cycles. In the 70s and 80s we were headed to another iceage....then we flipped the script to a global warming trend....but like everything else...what was old is new again (see link) we are now headed to another ice age....

http://english.pravda.ru/science/earth/11-01-2009/106922-earth_ice_age-0/

guess we all better hunker down...... of course that may be for only a decade or 2 or maybe for 100,000 years...

Stay warm all.

Lighting Up said:
Neil said:

Neil, Is that your stove in your avatar? If it is could you give me the name? Stay warm and from the news it's a good thing your not at a airport trying to fly out.
md

Yes sir, it is a Jotul f250 9kw max ouput, had it 3 years and like it very much as you can see the whole fire.

basswidow said:
Neil,

Why don't you take a stroll down by the canal and post some pictures of Stratford upon the Avon. Post some Pics of the churches and homes in town.

I've strolled the streets and it's by far my favorite place that I have visited in England. Far better than London.

I would imagine it's beautiful with the snow. !! Anyone traveling to London should take a day to travel to this special town (home to William Shakespere) and theater as we know it. It's an easy train ride from London and Birmingham.

When I visited - I talked with a family who was on holiday and traveling the countryside by canal boat. I helped them with the lock elevator. The canal boats look awesome. I told my wife - that is something I want to do on my bucket list. You are lucky to live in such a cool place.

Thanks basswidow, I am now living 10 miles north of Stratford in a little village called earlswood, I live between to lakes now, this is one with fishing jetties.

31957_1291879461.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.