cold stove won't keep running upon startup - AVALON 900

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

BGStG1aholic

Oct 16, 2012
Hello, while I'm waiting for my new stove I'm trying to keep my 1990 Avalon working. When I shut the stove down for cleaning and let it cool then upon restart it only runs for a minute then shuts down(the blower fan). I have to push the "start" button a few times to restart the fan until the stove gets hot enough to keep running on it's own. Today, after cleaning it the blower would not come on after activating the "start" button when trying to restart it. I had to keep constant pressure on the "start" switch(momentary rocker type) for the whole time the stove was warming up( a few minutes solid) then it ran fine on it's own after it got hot enough. If I let off the button, it would stop

I suspect the source of the problem may be is it needs a thourough cleaning as I have now put 3 ton thru it with only minimal cleaning as I cannot take the fireboard out to access behind. Fireboard is so deteriorated it would crumble into pieces if I tried to remove it. I have a set on order to show up in5-7 days but until then I'd like to keep it running if possible without hurting it.

Can I possibly wire around the initial heat sensor or the switch on the back of the stove to get the stove going to hold me over until I get my Harman? Once stove is warmed up it keeps running good as long as it's got food coming in

any info or tips greatly appreciated, Thanks

I would try the leaf blower trick and possibly clear enough gunk out of venting so the vacuum switch may activate properly if so equipt. Plugged venting has been plaguing a lot of stoves with the heavy use.

I am pretty sure that stove uses a snap disc.Would not shut off combustion blower.You probably have a bad switch or circuit board problem.As you were having problems before,where heat would keep it running,I suspect bad electrolytic capacitor.You could try heating control board(maybe) or control box with hair dryer and see if it stays running.

I would try the leaf blower trick and possibly clear enough gunk out of venting so the vacuum switch may activate properly if so equipt. Plugged venting has been plaguing a lot of stoves with the heavy use.

yeah, dug out the old homelite backpack 2 stroke leafblower, it does'nt appear to have the suction option, darnit

I'm lucky as I have just a 2' horizontal exhaust pipe so I can take the end off the outside and clean it out all the way to the stove

I am pretty sure that stove uses a snap disc.Would not shut off combustion blower.You probably have a bad switch or circuit board problem.As you were having problems before,where heat would keep it running,I suspect bad electrolytic capacitor.You could try heating control board(maybe) or control box with hair dryer and see if it stays running.

sorry, forgot say what it is - it's a 1990 Avalon 900 PS w/o auto light

maybe it merely is the switch as when I was trying to get it going the little amber light right next to the switch where it says "on" did'nt wanna stay lit either. Now the light has been on steady the whole time since it warmed up

can I try jumping the switch(next time it won't start) w/out screwing up the stove? I would think it would be no problem but since I know nothing about newfangled electronics I figured it bettet to ask first before blundering in and possibly making it worse. I've got a hunch next time the stove cools down I won't be able to get it back up and running again. without doing some McGyver stuff to it - If jumping the switch makes it work then I may get off easy with just buying a new switch hopefully, then giving it a thorough cleaning when I get the fireboard.

Jumping switch will not hurt anything.Travis industries is stingy with info,and I do not have a diagram(wiring) for that stove,or I could tell you more.In most stoves a switch does not control combustion blower,it should run after shut off for safety,and in these stoves you only have to push the switch to start(when working right)and not hold it.All this makes me think board problem,but anything you try will give more info.You might just need the main switch,the light you described is good info.By the way,this type of electronics is old style.Feel as old as me?

Page 42 of the manual for the stove, trouble shooting, safety features, draft sensor. So the stove has a vacuum switch and because you are not cleaning its rear passages it can't breath and close the switch till it really gets going. Your probably SOL in keeping the stove going safely. Either get it sucked clean or get to the back passages and clean it up. Hope you have CO detectors and working smoke detectors.

maybe time for me to invest in a leaf blower just for this purpose

it'll probably be a good tool(investment) to use on keeping my new stove(harman xxv) cleaned out between teardowns also

cold stove won't keep running upon startup - AVALON 900 Clean stove and venting is a happy and safe stove. Remember to keep door open or disconnect the hose of vacuum switch.

Yess
Always good to keep the door open, lest you return from outdoors to find your stove looking like a deflated pop can :eek:

;) Snowy

Yess
Always good to keep the door open, lest you return from outdoors to find your stove looking like a deflated pop can :eek:

;) Snowy
Where's fluffy? Anybody see fluffy?:)

I like your adapter setup bioburner

I may have found my problem. I took the side panel off the stove to find the vacuum hose I'm supposed to disconnect before the LBT and found it to be crimped where it connects on top of the box blower motor is attached to. I cut off the end, reattached it and made a new hanger for the hose so it does'nt crimp again. Let it cool down and hit the switch and it started right up. Hopefully I fixed it and this is not just a fluke.

I'm still gonna get the leafblower, I'm hooked on these pellet stoves

Its enjoyable to get near instant gratification of ones labors. Doesn't hurt that you probably saved some major $$$ over having someone come in and do it. More $$$ for new stove or the pellet stash.

Reactions: BGStG1aholic
Its enjoyable to get near instant gratification of ones labors. Doesn't hurt that you probably saved some major $$$ over having someone come in and do it. More $$$ for new stove or the pellet stash.

Yes Sir! I'd rather not pay someone for something I can learn to do myself. I need to learn about my pellet stove anyway so this is a learning experience for me thanks to all you here on this forum.

- It worked! Once I fixed the vacuum hose and rehung it I went to town and bought me a B&D LB w/adapter for pipe. Came home and hooked up my new LB and sucked a lot of ash outta that sucker, more than I thought would be in there - TOO COOL this LBT :)

Stove started right up (totally cold) from being shut down for 4 hours after my loving attention I gave her, she's been working perfect for the last several hours and for many more to come down the road

Thanks to all those who helped with their opinions

View attachment 127262 Clean stove and venting is a happy and safe stove. Remember to keep door open or disconnect the hose of vacuum switch.

That Fernco adapter you got BioBurner is the same I bought, It is THE WAY TO GO hands down if you can find the right size for your machine and pipe. I got very lucky, bought one at Lowes that was very close and stopped at Home Depot on the way home and found one that fit PERFECT. So perfect a fit I leave the hose clamps loose and it is quite snug but easy to put on. No tape to or anything else to mess with

Anyone shopping for these adapters be sure to take your tape measure in the store with you as the sizes stated on the label vary easily by 1/2 inch. The one I bought at Home Depot said 4" x 3" on the label but actually was 4 1/2" ID x 3 1/2"ID. The one I found closest at Lowes said it was 4"x3" but it was actually 4 3/8" ID x 3 3/8" ID. A little shoppping can find you one that fits both ends perfectly, well worth the little time it takes

Status
Not open for further replies.