Cold weather and increased number of flue fires

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

lopiliberty

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2011
WV
This winter has been very mild here which has lead to alot of people smoldering there fires and increasing creosote formation in there flues. I have noticed that when is gets colder at night or we have a stretch of cold days every time I turn around there is a call coming across the scanner for a flue fire. Counted 4 today alone. I guess its from the creosote forming from smoldering fires and people start to burn there stoves hotter and it lights off the creosote. What gets me is don't people know when you burn wood you have to check and clean your flue regularly. I have a thing with smoldering fires. When its warm I either cook me self to death because I want to burn cleanly or have no fire at all. I check my flue weekly for build up but as always its spotless. If I had $20 dollars for every flue fire call over the last two weeks I would be rich. I don't think people realize how fast creosote can build up. Been there done that.

October is the time for it here. First cold night and the fire fighters are running all night.

I have not heard any around here. I try to burn clean in mild weather but i end up opening windows.

corey21 said:
I have not heard any around here. I try to burn clean in mild weather but i end up opening windows.

50 here today. 87 in the living room with 2 windows open! I WILL NOT LET MY FIRE SMOLDER

I get it warm in the house when I get home from work and then let the fire die out in the AM instead of stoking it. By the time I get home from work that next day, it is about 62-64 in the house and I can build a nice, hot fire. I may have a smoke dragon, but I'm not smoldering the fire either.

Status
Not open for further replies.