Cold Weather ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old School

Burning Hunk
Jul 15, 2015
Georgia
Here in the South we don't experience the same cold as many of you are accustomed to. Our normal burning temps are mid 50s day time highs with mid to upper 30s overnight. With those temps I can get roughly 8 hour burn times with one of my stoves and 10 hours from the other. Both are attached to flex liners.

The past few days we have been having upper teens and low 20s at night with a daytime high around 35. I have noticed with these cold temps both of my stoves are running hotter and for a shorter amount of time. I am getting a high peak temp on the stove top and my burn times have dropped a about 2 hours on each stove.

Is this simply due to colder temps causing a stronger chimney draft or am I just going crazy......

Last edited by a moderator:
That is likely the case, can you close down the air any more? Being EPA the stronger draft will pull more air through the secondary tubes.

Or............. Crazy............

Sounds like cold air increasing draft. What type stoves do you have?

Yep, stronger draft from the cold temps and the need for more heat will shorten burn times. We are experiencing the same thing. Happens every year.

Here in the South we don't experience the same cold as many of you are accustomed to. Our normal burning temps are mid 50s day time highs with mid to upper 30s overnight. With those temps I can get roughly 8 hour burn times with one of my stoves and 10 hours from the other. Both are attached to flex liners.

The past few days we have been having upper teens and low 20s at night with a daytime high around 35. I have noticed with these cold temps both of my stoves are running hotter and for a shorter amount of time. I am getting a high peak temp on the stove top and my burn times have dropped a about 2 hours on each stove.

Is this simply due to colder temps causing a stronger chimney draft or am I just going crazy......
Same here. My stove is slightly undersized but I get a 2-3 hour heating burn time during colder weather.

You guys beat me to it, same thing happened last night, I got the choke almost all the way down, full load lasted only 3 hrs....

Gee whiz some of these new EPA stove's burn times don't last any longer than the old smoke dragons.A three hour burn time is ridiculous for a so-called new modern and so-called improved wood stove.If that's all they can do what good is it ?

Gee whiz some of these new EPA stove's burn times don't last any longer than the old smoke dragons.A three hour burn time is ridiculous for a so-called new modern and so-called improved wood stove.If that's all they can do what good is it ?
Draft can vary greatly depending on weather, chimney setup etc...it's impossible to account for all variables. The stronger the draft the more air that will enter the stove through the secondarys and the faster and hotter it will burn. Some have partially bocked the secondary air supply inlet with a magnet to slow the burn in high draft situations.

Gee whiz some of these new EPA stove's burn times don't last any longer than the old smoke dragons.
They are talking about 1.5 cu.ft. fire boxes above. Equal size fire box, an EPA stove will easily out-distance an old smoke-blower by at least half again the burn time....and won't smoke out the 'hood in the process. >>

my friend has a pellet stove insert, wondering if he has some kind of "back pressure regulator" in the flue to minimize draft creating excessive vacuum to extinguish the heat source?

It all depends on how large the stove is. A lot of old smoke dragons had big bellies and a prodigious appetite for wood.

Plus it's a bummer when the coaling stage gets cut short because you need to reload. It always hurts a little to have to burn them up or shovel them out. But....happy wife, happy life.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Maybe it's a cat thing, but the outside temp does not matter much to my burn times. I get 12+ hr burns with a full load even with low outside temperatures as long as I snuff the air almost closed.

But then again I could never snuff it closed if it was much warmer than 35 degrees or it would backfuff - so I guess even with a cat, stove draft matters.

Maybe it's a cat thing, but the outside temp does not matter much to my burn times. I get 12+ hr burns with a full load even with low outside temperatures as long as I snuff the air almost closed.

But then again I could never snuff it closed if it was much warmer than 35 degrees or it would backfuff - so I guess even with a cat, stove draft matters.
8 hrs.or more of heat are livable.In the old days one had to get up in the middle of the night to feed the stove.With 8+ hrs of heat those days are over and good riddance.

Reactions: fire_man
Status
Not open for further replies.