colder weather and damper adjustments

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lakelivin

Oct 3, 2009
upstate ny
Hello all,
i did try searching this i'm sure it's been discussed many times.. No real luck in the search though.. Here is my (dumb) question..About the same time as the thermometer started dipping into the teens and lower here is about the same time my first batch of wood ran out..I bought another load that lets say is not the same as the first batch.. some of it meters 20 -25 mc... i've noticed that i need the primary open alittle bit more then normal ,(when the weather was in the 30's and 40's).. Is this due to wetter wood or colder air feeding the fire? . i always cycle the wood to prevent coal build up and think i'm seeing more coal than usual as well.. again is this the wood or the colder air?

a little background.. my first year ever as a wood burner.. we just had a new house built a year ago anticipating wood burning, I cut and split aprox 14 face cord last winter and spring.. (ash,sugar maple ,and cherry) that is sitting under a hat for next year and i'm in the process of cutting up some blow overs that looks like another 3 or 4 face for 2011/12. with plenty more where that came from.. Trying to find real "seasoned " firewood around here is a joke... I've turned down 6 loads for every 1 i buy

thanks in advance

Regency S2400 w/blower
aprox 15' of stack

eventually i complete my avatar

I noticed the same thing. I believe when it gets that cold that my flue gases are cooling down and slowing down the draft which in turn slows down the fresh air coming in which in turn slows down the burn rate which in turn makes the fire burn less hot......which in turn cools the flue down which in... whew

you get my point, vicious circle

I find if I leave the primary air open a tad longer at intervals and let the fire get hotter before closing her down I can get the air closed down, but for me this process takes longer. If I'm wrong someone will correct me.

I think it's wetter wood. Colder weather usually improves the draft.

Let's talk apples and apples.

There are three main factors affecting draft: 1) Inside/outside air temperature difference, 2) Ambient chimney temperature (inside the chimney) and 3) Chimney length.

Cold air temps outside increase draft (driven by the DIFFERENCE between inside & outside air temps) and help start a fire UNLESS you have a cold outside wall chimney (vs centrally located in the house) which creates cold air downdraft inside the chimney at the beginning and, a bit, at end of the fire. This (a cold chimney) explains difficulty starting a fire and back drafting at the end, sometimes long after the fire has gone out.

The Mother of all chimney drafts results from a fire in a stove with a long inside (non-exterior wall) chimney when it is very cold outside.

Aye,
Marty
Grandpa used to say, "Central house chimneys are 'in' and outside corner and wall chimneys are 'out'."

Yes, chimney location can be a factor and Lakelivin has not described his chimney so I hedged my statement with the word "usually". From Lakelivin's admittance of wood measuring 20-25% and describing more coal buildup along with the need for more air, that to me sounds like less than ideal firewood. It also sounds like Lakelivin has an OAK along with new construction so would think that pressure deficit is not a factor. From another thread I gathered that the stove was designed in at time of construction and not installed as a retrofit. Hopefully chimney routing was well thought out.

The chimney is on the short side but then a short chimney will not be as negatively affected by temperature.

Yup. Wetter wood seems like there is less draft (won't burn good), but in fact, there is more draft with the cold air. Exception is drafting becomes a bit different just ahead of a storm.

You stated you cut some ash,sugar maple ,and cherry last winter and spring. I'm betting you can now burn that ash and cherry but keep the maple for next year. And you are right, it is similar to trying to find a needle in a haystack to find good seasoned wood now. It is very rare.

Well, guy's i answered my own question today with the help of some truely seasoned firewood.. If it's never been said a thousand times on here .. Dry wood is essential. The lil regency is purring like her old self again.. I had this wood on hand i just had to unbury it...

Sorry if i left out a detail or two in the original post.. The chimney is straight up threw the cieling/roof to double wall exterior.No Oak system as of yet , I was waiting to see if i needed one..

My dumb luck was all in the timing.. the dry wood ran out when the weather turned..

Thanks guy's

happy holidays

Lakelivin said:
No Oak system as of yet ...
I inferred OAK when you thought the combustion air temperature could be a factor. Since indoor air temp should be relatively the same, you could see how I drew that conclusion.

Anyway, glad you have some good dry wood. It makes all the difference. Sorry you had to dig it out. After so many years of burning, you'd think I would have it figured out by now but I too am digging out my best wood from the back of the shed as I boxed it in with less ideal wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.