Colored Flame Additives

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

LEAK

Nov 24, 2021
Northern Indiana
Is there any harm in throwing colored flame additives in to a wood stove? Products such as Mystical Fire or Color-Flame. I am guessing they are not recommended, but they are sold right along side the wood stove equipment at the hardware store. Is it harmful to throw a little bit in every now and then?

Wouldn’t be harmful. Not sure what the point would be though, fire is pretty awesome all on its own.

Reactions: Rob_Red
That sounds neat to me especially if you have company over and want some extra ambiance--yes a natural fire is beautiful but that would be different and would like to know what the ingredients are in the stuff and never knew anything sold like that--what a trip...clancey

Colored flame products contain metal salts to create the colors.

Depending on the salt it may interact with the steel inside the stove or the stainless lining in the flue.

Would I loose any sleep using it a couple times, not likely, but I wouldn't make it a regular occurrence either.

I would skip it if you have a catalyst in your stove.

Friend uses something like that in his regency

Colored Flame Additives

Here are some colors produced by different salts:

Orange ---------Calcium Chloride (a bleaching powder)
Yellow ----------Sodium Chloride (table salt)
Yellow-Green---Borax (a laundry powder)
Green-----------Copper Sulfate (for swimming pools)
Blue-------------Copper Chloride
Purple-----------Potassium Chloride (fertilizer)
White------------Magnesium Sulfate (Epsom salts)

Reactions: clancey and LEAK
Post some pics please once you do. I thought the bourbon and Pink Floyd was getting to me when I saw that picture above. Since it was real, I'd like to see more :)

I think I would avoid putting anything in my stove that contains salt or Chloride most manuals say not to burn driftwood due to salt

Reactions: stoveliker
The flame test is (was? I'm old) used in chemistry to i.d. what metal is present.

Search chemistry flame test to see characteristic colors.

Post some pics please once you do. I thought the bourbon and Pink Floyd was getting to me when I saw that picture above. Since it was real, I'd like to see more :)
Are you a big Floyd fan? I am a huge fan. Have a collage tattoo with artwork from The Wall, Dark Side, Animals and Wish you Were Here...

In campfires I put a big diameter chimney log on the fire standing on end and toss a piece of 3/4" copper tube with a cutoff of vinyl hose stuffed inside down the chimney log (you have to slit the hose lengthwise to get it to fit). When the flames start shooting out they are all kinds of psychedelic colors... copper tube can be reused.

Ok, yes I like me some Pink Floyd!

Sounds interesting, but I am going to see that elsewhere - I prefer it not to breathe burning plastic. I'd actually be tempted to put some salts in my fire pit outside tho.

Ok, yes I like me some Pink Floyd!

Sounds interesting, but I am going to see that elsewhere - I prefer it not to breathe burning plastic. I'd actually be tempted to put some salts in my fire pit outside tho.
The Pink Floyd gives you credibility as well. In my eyes anyway.

What do you mean plastic? They are just metal salts, no? Regardless, I would breathe a bit of plastic fumes for the cool colours.

Reactions: clancey
Are you a big Floyd fan? I am a huge fan. Have a collage tattoo with artwork from The Wall, Dark Side, Animals and Wish you Were Here...

In campfires I put a big diameter chimney log on the fire standing on end and toss a piece of 3/4" copper tube with a cutoff of vinyl hose stuffed inside down the chimney log (you have to slit the hose lengthwise to get it to fit). When the flames start shooting out they are all kinds of psychedelic colors... copper tube can be reused.

What does the vinyl hose do?

What do you mean plastic? They are just metal salts, no? Regardless, I would breathe a bit of plastic fumes for the cool colours.

He proposed a copper tube with a vinyl hose.