Combustibles against thimble...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Warm_in_NH

Minister of Fire
Dec 17, 2013
central NH or N.E. CT.
So, we started ripping out the hearth in CT with the Oslo and I'm thinking it's a good thing we did.
I've only installed a stainless through the wall kit but I don't imagine wood and hay should be in direct contact with the thimble? ?
I thought we would find something sketchy in there given past projects on the house but I'm thinking we should play the lottery this week given how hot that stove has burned and we haven't had any issues....

20141009_203216.jpg 2014100995201759.jpg

Damn!

I'm guessing small critters were getting in here and trying to make a nice home? ...... not to mention the wood so closely found above.

Well done on digging in deep.

Oh boy. I'm sure you're thrilled with that discovery, but also relieved. Good job at sleuthing the thimble.

About a month ago I posted asking about chimney liners and how they work with the thimble. Hoping I was going to get an answer that they'd fit inside a 6 " Id thimble and eliminate the need to worry about anything else. "Bholler" enlightened me on the need to maintain clearances and suggested a thimble replacement to make it work. Decided to ditch the old ugly hearth (in her opinion) the ugly block chimney, and go stainless.
Glad we found out how bad it was. It was one of those things where everything else in the house hasn't been right, why would the chimney be. But since we couldn't verify anything we kept burning of faith, out of sight out of mind. While I dread the work it will entail, I will be able to relax a lot more in January as the Oslo is cranking out the heat, knowing were safe n sound.

Reactions: oconnor and pen
One of those have to sit down because the knees get weak when you find it moments.

Reactions: Warm_in_NH
2014-10-11 12.48.16.jpg 2014-10-11 14.53.25.jpg

So it appears that squirrels thought the thimble area would make a great nesting spot some years ago. Nearly half a trash bag of hay stuffed in tight against it, and some other spots as well. The thimble was two pieced and had a seam inside the wall, which at one point was mortared in, but with it being an OLD house and things moving independently, the mortar had cracked and chipped away.
It appears some embers at some time made their way through this gap and actually to some wood below it (old clap board siding) and blackened the top of the wood. However, there was some fiberglass insulation stuffed tight, really tight, into the same area that I believe chocked the smoldering siding of oxygen and didn't allow to actually flare up and burn.
Uncovered an electrical box full or mortar as well, tracked it back, still tied in and live. That's okay, at least we'll have a new outlet on that wall now when we're done.

Good times!

Good lord! Yes you ought to buy lottery tickets, you are lucky. Good for you to sleuth it out before the house burned down.

Status
Not open for further replies.