Combustion fan or board? M55

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohbix

Burning Hunk
Feb 13, 2009
OH
Stove is producing a dirty burn, all exhaust and OAK paths are clear, changes in damper setting have no effect on flame, neg. pressure does not change, combustion fan is producing a harmonic hum, and if heat level is raised to 3 the pot overfills w/ pellets. A search brought up the following: suggestions were either the fan was going or that a triac on the board was bad. How can I determine whether the fan is at fault or the board? Pressure on the fan and housing have no effect on the harmonic noise. Won't rule out bearings, but the sound is nothing like the bearing noise when a different fan went bad. Enviro M55; 3 ft horizontal w/ cap (4" pipe), and 3" OAK. Stove was a demo.

Sounds like a bad combustion motor. Are you sure all passages are clear?? Behind the cast baffle?? The airtubes?? If poor airflow, then its the blower or the stove is stopped up. The damper should have big effect on flame and burn. Haven't heard M55 stoves having MB triac issues, The Empress had an issue years ago... Are the pellets damp?? Let us know what you find please. Good luck

Does the M55 have a small blower for the burnpot, ie an aquarium air pump? My Maxx-M does and what you're describing sounds like that failing if it were on my stove.

Good luck,
- Jeff

if the burnpot is overflowing on 3 that sign right there tells you that it is the exhaust blower that is failing. More than likely as you move up through the heat levels the exhaust blower doesn't ramp up rpm like it's supossed to. If its a demo unit thats a couple years old it may have the first generation blowers in it and there was some issue with them, it will be worth it to get new as they will be a upgrade.

Hey batchman- FYI that small air pump is for the hot air ignitor system used on M55, Omega and Maxx's.

Threerun The M55 has a regular ac motor for the comb blower, that sounds like its a little weak here. I don't think there has been any updates on the blower.

Status
Not open for further replies.