Combustion intake HELP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AMac-1978

Aug 6, 2018
Maryland
I had a Kozy Heat Z 42 installed. I have done 3 small start up fires but have concerns before he contractor leaves the job. 2 things 1) it burns slow. Once the doors are closed it the fire noticeably dies down to a slow burn. Seems it is not getting enough air. 2) the manual calls fo 4" solid or aluminum flex combustion air intake pipe. What is installed is a thin metallic flex pipe (light enough to poke a finger through.) And it is only 3.5 inches.

The combustion intake runs about 8' bending a 180 and pulls outside air. The contractor has thin bricked the unit in place and I know it would be a good amount of work, dust and debris to upsize to a true 4"...probably a full day. Installer is a good sized company that only does fireplace/ stove work with a lot of experience.

What would you reccomend? 1) Call Kozy Heat for recommendation 2) Bring it to the contractors attention 3) I'm splitting hairs and don't worry.

Get some known dry firewood and add some clean, 2x4 cutoffs then try another fire. If the results remain poor, call Kozy and the contractor.

Reactions: AMac-1978