ComfortBilt Pellet Stove Install - Masonry

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PelletOhio

Jan 2, 2019
Ohio
Hello,

I've recently acquired a new house that is all electric and it appears that the previous owner used a wood stove to heat the home.

We decided to put a pellet stove where the wood stove used to be and have purchased a ComfortBilt pellet stove HP22.

It looks like the prior stove vented through the wall into the garage and then made a 90 & short horizontal run to a masonry chimney that is accessible through the garage. I've included some photos to make this as clear as possible.

The stove exhaust sits about 12" lower than the existing 8" wall thimble (the metal is tore up inside for some reason and needs replaced). I was planning to use a stove connector -> 3" clean out tee -> 90 to bring me up to the existing hole which I was planning to replace with a 3" pellet thimble. Once through the wall I was going to spend for a double clean out tee and make my way over to the chimney (about 3') before using a 3" to 8" adapter to join the masonry chimney.

I was told I could join the masonry chimney as stated above no problem..(hadn't spoke about the wall / horizontal run however), but when I read the manual it says not to directly tie into a masonry chimney. Do I need a liner all the way to the roof? The chimney when I look in the opening doesn't appear deep as it looks from the outside so I imagine it has a rectangular clay flue liner?, but I'm not entirely sure. I haven't got on the roof yet and the 8" thru to masonry has a lot of creosote built up and the metal lip is a bit tore up as well. There is also a clean-out near the bottom which looks to be covered by a board that would need removed to access.

Any help or explanation is greatly appreciated. This looks like it could get pretty expensive.

Attachments

• ComfortBilt Pellet Stove Install - Masonry
    New Doc 2019-01-02 21.41.40_1.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 581
    20190102_215055.jpeg
    116.8 KB · Views: 234
    20190102_214458.jpeg
    93.9 KB · Views: 234
    20190102_214736.jpeg
    211.7 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
Also, I have already purchased a 3" connector, 3" cleanout tee, 3" elbow, and a 3' length of 3" L vent, but can return if needed.

Just reading the manual it states.
"If using more than one tee and 180 degree of elbows, you must use 4" venting pipes".

If I have a tee + elbow off the back of the stove, and a double tee in the garage... should I go all 4"?

How should I best configure all of this?

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Bob. That is the precise intention of my post here along with as much info I can convey.

Big box stores selling the piping haven't been much help. A few of the chimney sweeps I've found in my area have overwhelmingly bad reviews and cost a lot of money. I've read the manual several times, but it slightly conflicts with what the manufacturer told me on the phone (in regards to the connection to masonry). I'm going to email my pics to the manufacturer and see what they have to say when provided with more info. Local building ordinances (this is rural) just states to follow manufacturer guidelines for install.

Which leads me to the internet and this website. Watched and read as much as I could, but most installations I've found are rather simple and just vent directly outside. Relocating the stove to near an actual exterior wall isn't really an option.

It's looking like I might have to use L venting up the entire length of the chimney.. others say its not necessary .. and others say they needed to go up the chimney just a short length. The manufacturer said I'd need a 3" to 8" adapter (implying that direct connection to masonry is acceptable), but that conflicts with the manual and I don't want to throw them under the bus for bad advice (perhaps I'm misunderstanding). I believe the chimney has a 8"x13" clay flue liner in it, but still need to clean out the existing creosote and examine/confirm.

The expensive double tee was my idea to make everything easier to clean from the garage.. I'm not sure if it's even necessary if I have a clean out tee inside at the stove.

I'll contact the manufacturer again and await for further replies here. Thanks.

Last edited:
I know 3" t' s are expensive. But I bought one just to make cleaning easier. Never regretted it. Buy the t and clean out using shop vac. My outside piping never has much ash buildup. I only run a brush thru it after the season. So, run a brush thru your masonry chimney at end of the season, stick the ash vac in the t horizontal once a month and your good.