Comforter Stove Works Install.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mikeyh34

Oct 5, 2022
Long Island, NY
Hey I am new here and new to wood stoves. My uncle gifted me a Comforter Stove Works Wood Stove along with the triple walled stainless steel chimney pipe. I am looking to install this stove in my living room to heat my house. Just this past weekend I sistered up the 2x8 floor joists in my living room to make sure it was able to withstand the weight of the stove and hearth.

Being new to wood stoves I have a lot of questions to make sure I’m doing this right. I just ordered a copy of the NFPA 211 to reference. I am wondering if there is anything more I need to do in order to get this stove operable. I just got it sandblasted and I am going to take off the old gaskets and install new ones, then was planning on putting a light in thru the cooktop hole and sealing up anywhere lights could be seen shining out with the proper caulking, then painting it.

Also, the stove is rear-vented with an oval shaped hole. I was figuring on putting a double-walled oval to round adapter onto that outlet, then putting a double walled clean out tee to the double walled pipe going up, then to the fire protection box going thru the ceiling and changing over to the triple walled stainless steel pipe thru the roof, flashing that and adding a chimney cap.

My question is, if my hearth is built with the 1” airgap - created using 1” metal studs to my sheet rock, then durock on the face of that with brick veneer, as well as using the double walled pipe, how close can I get the double walled pipe venting out of the back of the stove to the brick veneer wall of the hearth safely? Also is there anything I can add as far as protection to get this stove as close as possible safely?

Thanks to anyone reading this, I will post pictures of the stove before and after sandblasting.

57C14D81-4DD2-4803-A7FD-ED3FC2D48B7F.jpeg 74AE0ECD-A4C1-4D4B-8FA8-7362ACCFFB7B.jpeg 9E2DBC5B-990B-4852-BA89-CD26903BB9A2.jpeg D73E2EED-F3DB-4ED3-A12C-345BD0604FCC.jpeg 563996E0-7E28-4685-8DFE-9D11C775E16C.jpeg

Hey I am new here and new to wood stoves. My uncle gifted me a Comforter Stove Works Wood Stove along with the triple walled stainless steel chimney pipe. I am looking to install this stove in my living room to heat my house. Just this past weekend I sistered up the 2x8 floor joists in my living room to make sure it was able to withstand the weight of the stove and hearth.

Being new to wood stoves I have a lot of questions to make sure I’m doing this right. I just ordered a copy of the NFPA 211 to reference. I am wondering if there is anything more I need to do in order to get this stove operable. I just got it sandblasted and I am going to take off the old gaskets and install new ones, then was planning on putting a light in thru the cooktop hole and sealing up anywhere lights could be seen shining out with the proper caulking, then painting it.

Also, the stove is rear-vented with an oval shaped hole. I was figuring on putting a double-walled oval to round adapter onto that outlet, then putting a double walled clean out tee to the double walled pipe going up, then to the fire protection box going thru the ceiling and changing over to the triple walled stainless steel pipe thru the roof, flashing that and adding a chimney cap.

My question is, if my hearth is built with the 1” airgap - created using 1” metal studs to my sheet rock, then durock on the face of that with brick veneer, as well as using the double walled pipe, how close can I get the double walled pipe venting out of the back of the stove to the brick veneer wall of the hearth safely? Also is there anything I can add as far as protection to get this stove as close as possible safely?

Thanks to anyone reading this, I will post pictures of the stove before and after sandblasting.

View attachment 300007 View attachment 300008 View attachment 300009 View attachment 300010 View attachment 300011
12" is the closest that stove can get to combustibles with a properly built heat shield.

What are your intentions with that stove?

Reactions: mikeyh34
12" is the closest that stove can get to combustibles with a properly built heat shield.

What are your intentions with that stove?
So if I have hearth walls built, and a heat shield installed on the stove itself.. would that let me get closer?
Being rear vented, the distance between the back of the stove to the back of the double walled pipe will most likely be at least 12”.
How close can I get that double walled pipe to the hearth wall?

I plan on using it to heat my house

So if I have hearth walls built, and a heat shield installed on the stove itself.. would that let me get closer?
Being rear vented, the distance between the back of the stove to the back of the double walled pipe will most likely be at least 12”.
How close can I get that double walled pipe to the hearth wall?

I plan on using it to heat my house
The double wall pipe has to be 6" from combustibles shielded or not. The stove needs to be 36" unshielded. 12" with a proper NFPA 211 ventilated shield

The double wall pipe has to be 6" from combustibles shielded or not. The stove needs to be 36" unshielded. 12" with a proper NFPA 211 ventilated shield
Copy, I appreciate your help.
Sorry if my questions might seem redundant, but I have little knowledge on the subject and want to make sure I’m doing things right.
When you say a “proper NFPA 211 ventilated shield, you mean something that actually attaches to the wood stove itself, correct? If so, does that have to be custom made and Where would I go about getting something like that?

Copy, I appreciate your help.
Sorry if my questions might seem redundant, but I have little knowledge on the subject and want to make sure I’m doing things right.
When you say a “proper NFPA 211 ventilated shield, you mean something that actually attaches to the wood stove itself, correct? If so, does that have to be custom made and Where would I go about getting something like that?
No it's wall shielding. Has the stove been torn down and recemented? Is your insurance ok with an unlisted stove?

No it's wall shielding. Has the stove been torn down and recemented? Is your insurance ok with an unlisted stove?
From what I understand the stove is UL Listed and one of the first ones to be, at least that’s what I’ve been told but that could be bad info.

So the wall shielding would basically be part of the hearth I build, with the 1” airgap between the sheet rock and brick veneer wall I build over durock on the metal studs. Correct?

Also, I haven’t tore the stove down and re-cemented yet. All I have done to it so far is just get it sand blasted, I wanted to have a good understanding of what I had to do to refurbish it before I went to re-cement, re-gasket, and paint it.

From what I understand the stove is UL Listed and one of the first ones to be, at least that’s what I’ve been told but that could be bad info.

So the wall shielding would basically be part of the hearth I build, with the 1” airgap between the sheet rock and brick veneer wall I build over durock on the metal studs. Correct?

Also, I haven’t tore the stove down and re-cemented yet. All I have done to it so far is just get it sand blasted, I wanted to have a good understanding of what I had to do to refurbish it before I went to re-cement, re-gasket, and paint it.
The stove may have been listed I don't know. But if it doesn't have the ul tag now it's no longer listed legally.

Yes the sheild would be part of your build. 1" off the wall with non-combustible spacers and a 1" gap top and bottom as well

The stove may have been listed I don't know. But if it doesn't have the ul tag now it's no longer listed legally.

Yes the sheild would be part of your build. 1" off the wall with non-combustible spacers and a 1" gap top and bottom as well
Do I have to bring that wall all the way to the ceiling and Leave a 1” gap prior to it touching the ceiling or is there a minimum height above the stove I can bring that up to and put a mantle? I’m guessing this all has to do with clearance from the double walled stove pipe to combustibles, and the stove itself to combustibles?

Do I have to bring that wall all the way to the ceiling and Leave a 1” gap prior to it touching the ceiling or is there a minimum height above the stove I can bring that up to and put a mantle? I’m guessing this all has to do with clearance from the double walled stove pipe to combustibles, and the stove itself to combustibles?
You only have to take the shield up past where the stove is closer than 36" measured at a diagonal

Info on wall shields. The hearth pad will need to be up to spec too. I think it requires an R=1.19 insulation value or better.

Here is the manual for the Comforter Wood Stove if it will help anyone.

I also have another question, in the manual it says it needs 36” to combustibles but nothing about a hearth heat shield. Is this just outdated info? Just making sure that if I build the hearth with the 1” air gap it will be fine to install the stove 12” from combustibles.

Here is the manual for the Comforter Wood Stove if it will help anyone.

I also have another question, in the manual it says it needs 36” to combustibles but nothing about a hearth heat shield. Is this just outdated info? Just making sure that if I build the hearth with the 1” air gap it will be fine to install the stove 12” from combustibles.
The hearth is the floor the stove sits on. You are talking about wall protection. And it's an unlisted stove so the manual means nothing. You have to go with NFPA 211 specifications for unlisted stoves. That is if you are even allowed to install an unlisted stove which is fairly doubtful