Community Burn Logging - Yes, I'm lame...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sb81

Jul 29, 2011
Central MA
This is my first year with a pellet stove, and there is something really odd about it... At first, you would think that owning a pellet stove is simply a way to save money and hassle over some other heating alternatives... Pocket some extra money, or perhaps save time/mess over chopping/storing wood. However, there seems to be much more to it... an addiction or craving for finding a good deal on your favorite brand of pellets and finding additional space in your garage/shed/house/bed to store more and more bags! I have been stricken with pellet fever, and from reading this forum, I can tell I'm not the only one...

So, rather than simply throwing pellets in my stove's hopper this heating season and saving some money over using heating oil and calling it a day, like most normal people would probably do, I'm going to log what I've bought and what I've burned along with some statistics that can track results and potentially help in future pellet purchases.

I'm using a Google Docs spreadsheet with some basic formulas to track some statistics along with a "Heat Index" calculation that attempts to objectively rate each pellet brand. My idea is hopefully I'm not insane, and that there are actually some board members interested in tracking their burning as well and they can create their own sub-sheet so we will all have some results we can review and get information from one another.

Below is a link to the spreadsheet with some example log entries to see how the formulas work... If anyone is interested in creating their own subsheet post their email here or in PM for an invite and they can make their own, or use this as a template and perhaps we can get a single spreadsheet with a tab for each board member and eventually we will gather a wealth of information as well as taking this pellet addiction way over the top!!! :D

Link - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...GE0NFhCeC1hRkFXNnNIYndDSW5MSWc&hl=en_US#gid=0

sb81 said:
...eventually we will gather a wealth of information as well as taking this pellet addiction way over the top!!! :D

I think that already happened a long time ago. %-P

Status
Not open for further replies.