Comparing this month's and last year's December electric bill.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leftyscott

Apr 6, 2009
arkansas
This my first winter w/ the quad. Last year had an old smoke dragon insert.

Have a heat pump for 2nd floor of my house and straight electric for the 1st floor and basement.
I've been very stingy with the electric heat last month so I was excited when my bill came.

My KWH usage this month was 1033.
Same month last year was 2014.

I am very pleased with the reduction and I certainly attribute it to the quad's efficiency.

Just got our December bill. Used 801 kWh (and that's with an electric water heater) $128.13. Last year's was 3640 kWh.

We have electric baseboard heaters. Last year we didn't start burning until almost Christmas because I had a major problem with the stove and my dad was desperately sick with kidney failure from his chemo treatments. We just bit the bullet and let the electric run because we were hardly ever home. Took me months to catch up on that one.

Still, this is the lowest electric consumption we have ever seen that we have records of, for any month of the year. The new stove is a major contributor to this, but the two boys moving out (and the end of those 20 minute showers and endless lights and computers left on) helped I'm sure. I'm using lots more wood with this stove, but the savings in electric is more than balancing the equation. And we're a lot warmer as well.

Think I'll go throw a couple of celebratory splits on the coals.

I am also interested in comparing this year to last year. For me it would be propane consumption which I track. Does anybody know of a good website to pull up historical weather figures? I think the average temperature for the month in your location would be the key stat. Obviously if this December was significantly warmer or colder than last December it would have be a huge factor in your comparison.

December 08 2298 kWh and December 09 1396 kWh

First year with the stove. Even with having to purchase wood this year I still have an overall savings. I'm really curious to see what my January bill is like. Last year we used 3331 kWh. During the winter there is going to always be an increase in your electric bill. Not only is it more expensive to heat, but you just spend more time indoors. Plus with Christmas most of us use more elec to light the inside and outside of the house. But being able to heat with wood makes a huge difference. Just wish I could get an OWB. I think that would really cut the bill if I could heat my water too.

bsearcey said:

First year with the stove. Even with having to purchase wood this year I still have an overall savings. I'm really curious to see what my January bill is like. Last year we used 3331 kWh. During the winter there is going to always be an increase in your electric bill. Not only is it more expensive to heat, but you just spend more time indoors. Plus with Christmas most of us use more elec to light the inside and outside of the house. But being able to heat with wood makes a huge difference. Just wish I could get an OWB. I think that would really cut the bill if I could heat my water too.

What is your primary heat source?

leftyscott said:
This my first winter w/ the quad. Last year had an old smoke dragon insert.

Have a heat pump for 2nd floor of my house and straight electric for the 1st floor and basement.
I've been very stingy with the electric heat last month so I was excited when my bill came.

My KWH usage this month was 1033.
Same month last year was 2014.

I am very pleased with the reduction and I certainly attribute it to the quad's efficiency.

Congrats, your investment is begining to pay for itself. You think you're stingy with the electric, I just looked at my bill, 517 kwh for last week of november to the last week of december. Guess this ol house is more effecient than I realized.

Isn't it awesome how quickly the stove can pay for itself?!

Mine paid for itself in the first full season of operation. Now, it's just gravy!

-SF

BrotherBart said:
bsearcey said:

What is your primary heat source?

Not sure if I'm doing the quote right, but to BrotherBart, now my primary heat source is the woodstove. Before it was a heat pump. Everything in my house runs off of electricity i.e. water heater, stove, cloths dryer, etc. I don't have any NG, propane, or oil bills. Thank goodness. Even though I would like a gas range for cooking.

Thanks. I had been wondering what heating with a heat pump cost in this neck of the woods. Ours has been defunct for years. Died from lack of use. I need to replace it before the end of 2010.

BrotherBart said:
Thanks. I had been wondering what heating with a heat pump cost in this neck of the woods. Ours has been defunct for years. Died from lack of use. I need to replace it before the end of 2010.

OK. I didn't think Northern VAs used heat pumps that much. I had been under the impression that Richmond was sort of the cut off for efficient heat pump usage. I guess you want to replace because you are planning on selling? I'm sure a newer HP would be more efficient than mine. I think mine is approximately 8 to 10 years old and I have never had the "tune ups" that all the professionals say are good for the units. I also know that my duct work was never properly sealed with mastic at the joints. Basically I think I might be above what might be normal for newer units with proper installation and maintenance.

I used 2691 kwh Dec 08, and 1271 Dec 09. I have a natural gas furnace and even more impressive than the Kwh was the therms of gas. Dec 08- 171 therms.... Dec 09- 16 therms. Plus this December was 2 degrees colder than last years. To date in the 3 months I have owned my stove (oct,nov,dec) I have saved $391.43

and I just plain "feel better" about the wood heat.

Dec 5-Jan 5 we used 1260 Kw, (490 day rate, 770 night) prior owners used around 3800 Kw for the same period last year, about a $275 savings for this month alone. Thats for hot water, cooking, clothes drying and with electric thermal storage heaters charging up to the fall/spring setting, at night, but the fans seldom run. The backup electric boiler hasn't run at all.

MAN, am I glad I don't have electric heat.
We heat the water with nat. gas, and the stove, dryer, and everything else is electric. Wood heat only, with a gas wall furnace that I don't use. Forced air nat. gas furnace in the shop that gets turned on to 50-60* only when I'm out there working.
Last month gas use was 11ccf, and the electric went up a little due to fewer daylight hours. We spend a lot more time i the house in the winter.427 kwh
Smallish ranch, a little over 1200 sq. ft.
Hang jeans in the stove room for a few hours to dry in the winter, clothesline for most things in the summer.

Wish I could convince my wife to hang cloths to dry. That would never fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.