Compressor oil ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Do any of you use synthetic oil in there air compressor?
Does it help with cold weather running?

yes, can't help on cold weather ?

Yes. Compressor lives in a cold space.

I'm referring to the slow startup when it's cold 40F +

It is working ..43F and starts up when needed ..so I'm happy with the synthetic oil.

This is the oil that I run in my compressor. I'm a big fan of Mobil oils. The compress starts fine in the winter time but I generally try to only run it when temps are above 40F. If I would need to run my compressor a lot in cold temps I'd move it to a heated space.

Reactions: Sean McGillicuddy
Main thing is to keep the lines dry and the tank drained

Making sure the oil is non-detergent is more important than synthetic vs non-synthetic. Using a detergent engine oil keeps the gunk and metal particles in suspension so that an oil filter can filter these out. Most air compressors don't have oil filters making the continual circulation of these particles problematic. Non-detergent oils allow these particles to settle out which is better for compressor life.

I use synthetic Because I use it in a cold environment to -40 and a hot environment!00+
Never let me down

Making sure the oil is non-detergent is more important than synthetic vs non-synthetic. Using a detergent engine oil keeps the gunk and metal particles in suspension so that an oil filter can filter these out. Most air compressors don't have oil filters making the continual circulation of these particles problematic. Non-detergent oils allow these particles to settle out which is better for compressor life.
Not to mention there really is no contaminates without combustion.

Reactions: sloeffle