Concession To Old Age

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
Hearth Supporter
A 24" dbh wolfey red oak died behind the far end of my drainfield last year. Been walking around the scary thing since then and decided when it cools off I would bring it down. It had a nine inch thick 20 foot long hanging branch out of the side 70 or so feet up that was going to make for crazy action interacting with other trees coming down. Three gypsy tree cutters came up the drive this afternoon. After a little negotiation they did the climbing, whacked that branch and laid the trunk across the end of the drainfield ready for bucking. For $150 while I sat in a lawn chair with a beer.

First time I have ever had a tree dropped instead of doing it my old 68 year old self. But could start liking this.

Next you will be in diapers. (Boy I can get used to this not waking up to pee in the middle of the night.)

It Depends.

Sometimes its money well spent! I see with age comes longer recovery times from injuries. Better to be safe than sorry. You could have just saved yourself from an injury that could have disrupted the rest of your life...... an arm injury preventing you from lifting that beer! Cheers to working smarter!

The guy said he wanted $250 to take the tree down. I told him I wasn't $250 worth of scared of it but I was about $150 scared of it.

He asked about more work and I told him I was about out of trees. He looked out at the 4.5 acres of oaks and cracked up. I'll have some more for him. Tired of hangers and running the wrong way. Odds have to catch up with me sometime. I will let the odds catch up with him. Got $300,000 of liability insurance on the homeowner's policy.

He asked about more work and I told him I was about out of trees. He looked out at the 4.5 acres of oaks and cracked up. I'll have some more for him. Tired of hangers and running the wrong way. Odds have to catch up with me sometime. I will let the odds catch up with him. Got $300,000 of liability insurance on the homeowner's policy.
You gonna have lots of cold beers in the future.

There's an old saying... I'd rather be a live chicken than a dead duck. A man who knows his limitations will live a long, full life.

$150 wouldn't deliver the firewood you'll get from that oak. It was money well spent.

Status
Not open for further replies.