Condar Electric Catalyst Monitor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JSeery

Feeling the Heat
Feb 12, 2015
Irvington, NY
I have a Condar electric catalyst monitor I've been using with my hybrid catalytic insert. I bought it in the spring of 2015 and it stopped working during the heating season of 2016. As I recall, I would hit the button and it wouldn't give me a reading. I called my dealer and they were able to give me another Condar monitor under warranty. This morning I had the same issue, where I would hit the button and it doesn't give me a reading. If I disconnect the battery and reconnect it (or just jiggle the connection) it gives me a reading. Obviously that still works, though it is not ideal so I called my dealer again. He's going to check to see if they can do another replacement free of charge.

If not, are there any other monitors people like? I can't run my stove correctly without one (need to know when to engage cat), and I haven't been very impressed with Condar. But, maybe they are the only game in town.

Update: they can't do the replacement free of charge since I am past the original warranty date. Disappointing. Now my dilemma is that I don't want to buy another Condar which will just break in a year. On the other hand, I also don't want to pull this probe out and put a new one in, as that would be a pain. Maybe there are other probe monitors that will work with the probe I already have in the stove (but that seems unlikely). I know there are two Condar models out there, I have this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BO9MNM/?tag=hearthamazon-20