1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Condar Temp Probe vs. The Thermocouple...

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by WES999, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    Now that I think of it....

The probe reading 800 be experiencing much cooler temps (for the body of the unit itself) than the surface thermometer would.

A surface thermometer is actually living in the 800 degree environment if that's what it is reading. A probe thermometer is just interpreting 800 degrees.

I'd ask the guy about that and see what he says.

pen

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
  3. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    I wish that thermometer had a little higher range. I can see pegging it pretty easily if your not careful. What kind of temps do you generally see with it?
  4. 3fordasho

3fordasho Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    South Central Minnesota

Two fireviews with different flue set-ups and different temp probe locations due to the flue differences. On start up or reload (bypass open) I try to keep flue temps 500-600F. In cruise mode (load of wood/cat engaged) one stove will run 300-400F, the other runs 400-500F (flue temp, not stove top). I've only pegged the tel-tru once or twice when I forgot to shut down/watch the temps for a few/5 minutes and yes it can happen pretty easy but this is the time you can't let yourself get distracted or really even leave the stove room as I seen reloads go from 400 to 1000F+ in minutes. I have not pegged either one this season or last so I must be keeping a closer watch on things. One tel-tru did read low after the over temp incident. Most models can be recalibrated.
  5. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Dasho, what is the flue setup? Straight up or with elbows?
  6. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    Wow, those temps seem low but if you figure flue temps are 50% higher than external single wall temps like Condar states it would be right in line with mine. I guess I might have to try another thermometer.
  7. 3fordasho

3fordasho Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    South Central Minnesota
    Both stoves use Supervent products as sold at Menards. All connector sections are double wall, the class A stuff is the double wall stainless with the insulation between.

Stove A (first installed) has a 90 elbow right on the back of the stove, an ~3' vertical run of double wall connector pipe(tel-tru is installed in this section, about 24-30" above the stove) to a 45 elbow, 1' straight to another 45 elbow that ceiling connects to 15' of class A.
    Aproximately 4-5' of the class A is in attic space, the rest exposed. This is the stove that runs 300-400F flue temps at cruise.

Stove B has a horizontal run of adjustable length double wall connector pipe (~18") that goes straight out the back of the stove to a section of class A that comes thru a wall thimble. Next is a class A tee, then a vertical class A run of ~ 21' encased in an insulated chase with the top 3' exposed. In this set up my tel-tru flue themometer is in the horizontal adjustable length section of connector pipe, about 16" from the back of the stove. This one runs 400-500F flue temps at cruise.
  8. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Thanks. You are seeing higher temps in the flue with the same stove when the flue gases are slowed down by a 90deg turn. That seems logical and may help explain why my temps are so consistently reasonable with a straight-up pipe.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.