Condensation problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
muncybob said:
Well...problem solved!

I'm not sure why it didn't dawn on me to insulate the cyclone, but that was the fix! I have just temporarily insulated it with R-13 faceless fiberglass but the long term fix will be to insulate it with the special very high temp blanket type insulation. I am surprised at how much warmer the bottom of the cyclone is, I'm now experimenting with the aquastat differential dial to get lower without any condensation.

My next question is, if the temp difference in the cyclone caused condensation there am I getting condensation in my exterior non-insulated SS chimney liner? I don't have room for insulation.
I doubt your chimney will be a problem as you said you had good after cyclone temps & there is one straight shot for the flue gas. Glad this seems to be fixed, Randy

muncybob said:
Well...problem solved!

I'm not sure why it didn't dawn on me to insulate the cyclone, but that was the fix! I have just temporarily insulated it with R-13 faceless fiberglass but the long term fix will be to insulate it with the special very high temp blanket type insulation. I am surprised at how much warmer the bottom of the cyclone is, I'm now experimenting with the aquastat differential dial to get lower without any condensation.

My next question is, if the temp difference in the cyclone caused condensation there am I getting condensation in my exterior non-insulated SS chimney liner? I don't have room for insulation.

Congrats! One less thing to concern yourself with. I think your SS liner will come up to temperature quite rapidly so condensation won't be a problem there. Almost time to start the wood anyway, ain't it?

Yep...lows in the 20's next few nights...bringing in some wood today!

Status
Not open for further replies.