Confused on fresh air intake.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Countryman

Sep 20, 2016
Ohio
I plan on purchasing a Quadra-fire Classic Bay 1200. I plan on installing the stove myself and placing it in the basement on the South-East corner since I cannot place the stove in the center of the house and run a flue trough the roof. There instruction say that the fresh air intake should be place on the windward side of the house, there are times that I have a 10-15 mph wind. Wouldn't I loose efficiency of the stove with this much wind blowing into the intake? If I do place the vent on the North side of the house the intake vent will be about 22'-25' long, and from what I have read in your forum it should only be about 10'-12' long. Will it cause me any grief down the road putting on the East side of the house close to the exhaust vent?

Installation manual: http://downloads.hearthnhome.com/installManuals/7014_179.pdf

Thanks for your help

I don't think you'll lose any efficiency, the OAK is just an inlet for fresh air that will be forced through the burn chamber of the stove. As far as I know most pellet stoves have a combustion fan and a distribution fan (one of the reasons they tend to be somewhat noisy).

If strong winds are a problem just place a baffle in front of the inlet, to deflect the oncoming wind.

Other no doubt will have other ideas...wait for them to chime n.

As @womaus says - no efficiency will be lost due to wind blowing into the OAK. And if you only get 10-15 mph winds, you shouldn't even need a wind break/baffle for that, but it might be a good idea anyway to help keep rain/snow out. The stove's fan is sucking in the air at a pretty good rate to begin with. Just remember if it is close the exhaust vent (mine are), make sure the OAK is lower (the hot air from the exhaust will rise) and the inlet is at least 1' away from the outlet (you can include the pipe length).

I would actually be more worried about your exhaust facing the wind - but if you use a jet cap or a 45* elbow at the end, that will keep the exhaust from being blown back in. I have a jet cap on my P61a exhaust and a 45 on my P43 exhaust, and neither one has had an issue with prevailing winter winds .

Reactions: Deezl Smoke
Status
Not open for further replies.