confusing wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ddahlgren

Minister of Fire
Apr 18, 2011
SE CT
In my quest to find some decent wood I went to a guy's place selling it to take a look at it before buying. I asked about how long since split and he said a month or two and it is oak. it is cut to the right length I need and split pretty fine like a 2 X 4 but a real one not a 3 1/2 X 1 1/2..LOL nothing much bigger than 4 inches on a side. I questioned if it was burnable and he sure if mixed in with a little good stuff and the stove up to temps with an EPA stove. He gave me a half a dozed random pieces to try before buying. They own about 400 acres some woods and forest and some farm fields. He had said the trees cut last year and thinning out the trees in tough shape to give the healthy ones some room to grow. It was then cut into 16" rounds and left to sit for a year split a month or so ago. Just tried to burn a few pieces after getting the stove top to 400 with some seasoned maple and it took off in 15 seconds burns well no smoke no sizzle and reads 22 on moisture meter after splitting again. oh and the bark is also separated from the split in many places. It burns well with the air almost clsed and holding stove top at 575 to 600.

I just do not get it. it acts seasoned but by time it is not seasoned. Do you think the fact the tree was dying when he cut it started to dry it out a good deal and the fact the rounds were so short contributed or does he just have a bad memory? I don't think he slipped me a 'wringer' of a sample as he pulled a couple and I did as well and me not from the top but a couple of layers down..

Any ideas of what is going on here?

dave

That sounds about right, if the tree was dying and it was cut when the sap was down. Just keep an eye on your flue, even though it's burning good, it can still be building some extra creosote.

If you are still looking for more wood you could try here, http://www.georgehauser.com/

The wood I had gotten from them was C/S/S at least a year ago, and more than likely 18-24 months ago. It ain't cheap, but it burns awesome and they will deliver to most of CT.

If you are still looking for more wood you could try here, http://www.georgehauser.com/

The wood I had gotten from them was C/S/S at least a year ago, and more than likely 18-24 months ago. It ain't cheap, but it burns awesome and they will deliver to most of CT.

Good idea but they do not deliver within 100 miles of me.

Sorry about that. Thought you were within their range.

No problem thank you for thinking about a solution for my problem!

I have to cut up some kindling and bring in a few days of wood we are due for a 12 hr snow stowm of unknown intensity depending on who you listen to and believe. Then will call the wood place back and see if they can clarify exactly what the history of the wood is or maybe buy a trunk load and see if it consistently burns like the samples
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.