Confusion about installing a Stainless Steel liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gangsplatt

Hearth Supporter
Mar 26, 2008
Plattsburgh, NY
Here's the background. I had a chimney sweep come and clean out both my chimneys today. The chimney to my fireplace (internal chimney) was fine. I was told my external chimney that leads to my wood stove in the basement needs to be lined. The chimney is a mortar chimney with clay tiles. He showed me a crack in the tile right were the stove pipe enters into the flue and a piece of clay tile that also had fallen from somewhere inside the flue as well. So I asked him to write up a quote to line the chimney which is an 8x8 clay lined flue.

Quote was for $1290 and included the following:

30' x 6: liner - $600
6" Tee: $70
6" cap: 65.00
6" top plate 60.00
Labor & misc parts: $400.00

But from doing a little research it looks like a project I could take on by myself, with a helper of course. I came across chimney liner depot and see that there are rigid and flexible liners. Are flex liners ok or should I look for a rigid option. Is this a project that is pretty basic? I consider myself to be moderately handy.

You could do it but parts will run ya around six hundred or so after shopping around and having somebody get out there and just get it done for $1,200 is a darn good price.

you should be able to handel it. I just did mine, and it wasnt bad at all

Chimney liner depot has a 316l SS flex liner kit for 30' chimney 6" diameter includes all the parts (tee's and cap) for $500 shipped.

My only concern would be the flex pipe and ease to clean the pipe

Did you use flex or rigid pipe? If you used rigid do you have rivit or tape the sections together?

Is that 8x8 chimney inside diameter or outside? Make sure a 6" liner will fit. I had a 8x12 OD and found out the hard way the 6" wouldn't go down due to mortar obstructions and an offset in the chimney. The actual inside diameter was just a smidge over 6". I ended up going with 5.5" flex and it cleans well with a poly brush.

Tie a one gallon paint can on a rope and lower it down the chimney. If the can won't go down it a 6" liner won't either.

I used flex, mostly for 'flexing' it in the damper area. My liner was significantly larger, so it was easy for me. In the chimney for the oil furnace, there was a flex liner in the 8X8 tile flue. if its just some mortar in a few place that hangs you up, you can break it off fairly easy. BB has a great suggestion with lowering a paint can down first.

gangsplatt said:
I was told my external chimney that leads to my wood stove in the basement needs to be lined. The chimney is a mortar chimney with clay tiles. He showed me a crack in the tile right were the stove pipe enters into the flue and a piece of clay tile that also had fallen from somewhere inside the flue as well. So I asked him to write up a quote to line the chimney which is an 8x8 clay lined flue.
If your internal tile is cracked you need to insulate it to bring it up to code.

New N.F.P.A.and H.U.D. rules have now made new codes mandatory and i believe your workman told you the truth. A friend just had a 25' chimney lined for $900... so i think maybe the extra $300 is a labor cost as it would take a man at least a day to gather and install correct materials. Figure it might take you twice as long as a pro, but you save $300, but converesely if something goes wrong with the install and your house burns down ...you have no one to blame but yourself. I'd still do it myself. Just ask as many questions as you need too,,until you are satisfied that you understand your product and your technique

Status
Not open for further replies.