Connecting stove pipe to chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

farmboy05

Jan 31, 2014
North Central Iowa
I'm finishing up the installation of my stove. I have to run to town to pick up a double wall stove pipe because the chimney installer who bought the parts left me a 46" instead of a 68" telescoping section (but that's another post for another time). I want to know if i have all that i need to connect the stove pipe to the chimney correctly. Or if i need to pick up something else while I'm in town. Everything is duravent.

Here is the ceiling support box

2bd17cb3319a07608e459b6c950ad9b4.jpg

Here is what i have to make the connection?

55ba1f172bf30c39e9d74ed8f110b09f.jpg

What's confusing me is that duravent has two parts listed to make the connection. Is the bottom one just a different type of the same thing?

377c8b41f29175b0a1a3c55f5af6ff9a.jpg

It just doesn't seem like when the adapter is in place, that it will allow for airflow in the wall of the pipe like it should. And lastly, the installation instructions say to use #8 X 3/8" screws. Are they to be self tapping or just standard?

Sorry for the lengthy post. I just want to ensure i am doing this correctly. Thank you for your help!

I have purchased self tap black stove pipe screws from lows for cheap can't remember exact size. As for the connection looks like one is for single wall and other is for double wall. Good luck with your install.

Bump. I thought they both could be used on double wall... ? Would like to know which one would be best.

The top one is what i have. I should have included the description, but it does sound like they both are ok, just that the bottom one is a better version for the double wall. I started burning Sunday with no problems so far.

One thing that tripped me up was the screws. Duravent includes screws with the stovepipes and there weren't any or any holes for screws with that top adapter. After looking at the instructions closer, it looks like the top stovepipe slides over that adapter piece but doesn't screw in. If I'm wrong or if i should stick a few SS screws in there anyway, someone let me know.

It looks like it should snap lock mine is single wall so that is not a slip you have. The screws got me corn fuzzled they have to go somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.