Considering Jotul 500 Oslo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OilNoMore

Apr 13, 2008
Champlain Valley, NY
After this season's fuel oil bill, we are switching to wood. I have a one story 1200 ft. ranch. I'm between the Jotul 500 Oslo and a Hearthstone Shelburne, both seem like great stoves. I have 2 big questions:

Where I want to put the stove is in a space with an archway that separates a hall from the living room. The archway hangs down 12", and is 48" from the wall that the stove would stick out from (the heat shield would face this wall, the stove front facing the living room). I want to go straight up with the pipe, through the attic and out. Any opinions on how this archway might block the flow of heat? I'm guessing that it will somewhat block the flow of heat, but not severely. The point of keeping the archway is #1 because my wife says it would look odd without it and #2 I'm thinking it will help trap heat down the hallway. The stove will face directly toward the living room, the hallway is perpendicular to the living room, going to the left if facing the stove. Probably hard to understand how this sets up, I apologize for that. In any case, please feel free to make suggestions or offer opinions.

Also, I'm stuck between these two stoves. I like what I've read about the Jotul brand and the 500 in particular. I'm just hoping it is not too big for my size and home set up. We live far upstate, near Lake Champlain, so the might of the Jotul might help on the coldest of days. The Hearthstone Shelburne seems high quality as well, granted it is a smaller size stove. I don't know much about Hearthstone's cast irons? Anyone with any experience with them? The reviews are limited on the Shelburne, but I know Hearthstone's soapstone models are of high quality with good reputations. Any advice on deciding between the two stoves? I've tried to do my homework on both but, again, there are not many reviews on the Shelburne.

Any suggestions, tips or advice are greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

It should work ok. We have large "archway" openings connecting our livingroom and dining room and to the hallway. They have about an 18" drop and don't affect circulation too much. The F500 should work ok in your area if the desire is for 24/7 heat in the winter. It may be a bit overkill, but it gets cold and windy up there. Just make shorter fires in the fall and spring. Another stove to consider might be the Pacific Energy Alderlea T5 or perhaps a nice soapstone?

the oslo will do just fine great stove the shelburne will work ok but to be the main source stick with the oslo. i sell both.

Oil, I've been using my stove for one season after using a steel box stove for 26 years. I heat 2100 sq. ft., 24/7 and it does a great job. my house is open concept with cathedral ceilings on the second floor. Even on the coldest days, I can still maintain 68* in the furthest parts of the house. I started burning in mid Oct. and stopped last week. I have burned four cord of wood this year. More heat with less wood. With the old stove, I would've burned five or six. The stove likes really dry wood though and am always two years ahead. You will need to get wood as soon as you can and get enough for two year now. For overnight burns, I load at 10p and at 7a there are still plenty of coals to get the fire going again. It's fun watching watching the fire and the secondary burns are spectacular. The ash pan works well and I empty it every three days. hope this helps.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.