Considering off-set corner installation of Fireview

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snowleopard

Minister of Fire
Dec 9, 2009
I'm putting it in the corner of my dining room downstairs, SE corner, stove facing NW, towards the center of the room. This room is open on the W to a living room, from whence the flames will be peripherally visible, but more so if it's turned so that it's facing more W-NW. Even more so if it is facing W, but that orientation will partially block access to the pass-through window from the kitchen.

Anyone have any experience w/such a layout? How do you calculate clearances? How did it look?

Appreciate your feedback.

Yes, and thank you for your reply.

With their standard right-hand orientation, clearly that would not work. I ordered one last week which is now finished and ready to ship, and mentioned in an email that I wish I'd thought it through and ordered a lefty. Got an answer back of `no problem, we can do that, will just take a little longer'. Woodstock. What a country! So trying to make an intelligent choice here before tomorrow morning there, which starts at 4 a.m. here, which is why I am online looking for input.

If it's a corner installation, I can place it with the corners at 12" away from combustible wall, and the back/pipe have plenty of clearance. But if it's offset--neither square to the wall, nor set on the diagonal--but rather somewhere between those two, the pipe no longer has the same distance from wall, correct? I'm trying to visualize and work out the math rather than do the Lascaux-homemaker-dragging-the-furniture-around approach.

I could just say, `whatever,' order the lefty, and then decide. But if I do that, and settle on the diagonal, I will load from the less convenient side (right side door will be a few feet away from adjacent sun-room door, from whence I will be bringing wood and through which I will be carrying ashes). If I'm going to stick w/diagonal, I just need to finalize and call it good. The offset sounds appealing when I visualize sitting in the other room and seeing the flames, but the lack of symmetry might be a bit strange. I know this is a bit obsessive, but I'll be living with the consequences of my decision for years to come, and would like to make one I'll be happy with. Another advantage of having a partial offset is that it would retain a bit of that `gathering around the woodstove' ambiance of the diagonal placement.

Anyone willing to encourage me in my perseveration here?

I installed a small stove in my living room in a corner at 90d to the back wall. I wish I thought it through like you are doing.
In my case a true 45 install would put the view at an odd angle. The next stove, hopefully winter 2010
will be off set in the same corner more like a 22d angle to the back wall. Making the view line up with
opposite corner of a rectangular room if that makes sense to or helps.
Every time I sit on the couch and watch the fire I think how stupid my current set up looks.

Thank you, it really does help me understand the importance of thinking this through before living with the consequences. I think you were wise to start with a small stove from which you can step up to a better one without the financial loss involved of getting your `dream stove' first.

Status
Not open for further replies.