Consolidated Dutchwest 2462

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rparker

Feeling the Heat
Jul 17, 2011
Vermont
Daughter and husband just moved into a different home (rental). Has a CD 2462 woodstove. After a quick inspection , it has obviously been overfired. The internal , rear heat shield has been burned out (2-3" hole burned through plate at top).
Is this a unit that is worth fixing? They will be responsible for any repairs but will be able to take it off of the rent.
Don't really know what else to look for/at.
Thanks for any info.

RParker

I am always amazed to hear that people are willing to rent a house with a wood stove in it. It just seems like you are asking for trouble.

That being said, it would really help if you posted some picks of the stove so we can better understand what is damaged. What is the condition of the catalyst and the assembly?

I might not be overfired, does the stove exterior show signs of overfiring. This usually shows up as light grey patches in the paint around the overheated areas. Regardless, it does sound like someone deferred maintenance and just kept burning. If the wear is just to the interior parts, it may be rebuildable. We would need to see pics of the interior and exterior to provide more feedback.

Thanks. Will get pics this weekend.

As others have stated pics will help. I have two, the XL 288CCL and I just rebuilt a 264CCL from the legs up. It is now completely pimped out including the warming shelves, which were hard to find. The older dutchwest stoves are pretty easy to rebuild and are fairly simple to operate. I do not know about the newer models, but they look similar so they might be as easy to rebuild. good luck

I'm willing to bet money that if the rear liner is shot, then so too is the inner top, which is not uncommon in those guys. When you have the top off to inspect the catalytic combustor, look around. Better still, post pic.s of it! Four bolts hold the top on, heavy but not complicated to remove. Then gently lift off the refractory thingy which covers the cat. Start taking photos & lemme see 'em.

Here are a couple of pics. Looking at them, appears that the side heat plate has a large crack. The rear plate has been burned through. Generally some surface rust and needs new gaskets. This will be their primary heat source so back to the question.
Fix it or find something else?

Attachments

• back.JPG
    back.JPG
    168.8 KB · Views: 699
  • corner.JPG
    corner.JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 780
  • inside.JPG
    inside.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 633
Personally I would pass on it, but geoxman could give you a better appraisal for costs.

It would help to know the budget and whether there is a completely safe flue system already in place to connect the stove to or if this installation will be from scratch.

Have you removed the rear baffle plate? The plate itself can be replaced for not too much money. I would give the firebox a good vacuuming and inspect for cracks.

This is an existing stove connected to a good block/tile chimney. The house is my daughter's (and husband) new rental (in the family). The house had "squatters" last year but that is another (long) story. They burned whatever they could find, cut up, break, etc.
I assume the catalyst is shot. Just trying to help them as best I can.

The back part of the stove is just a replaceable back panel to protect the actual back cast iron of the stove and it shouldn't be to expensive to replace. I also wouldn't be to concerned about burning with it looking like that just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't crack or fail throughout the year. I would also assume the catalyst is going to need replaced. Can you post a few pictures of the to plate that you referred to as having problems as that is what I would be the most concerned about. All in all I don't think it looks to bad and the surface rust will clean right up, just get it outside and go after it with a wire brush wheel on a grinder and respray it. One other thing pay careful attention to the door gaskets especially the ashpan door gasket and rplace them if they don't pass the dollar bill test. I have refurbished Dutchwest stoves that looked a lot worse than that and they turned out great.

Going over this weekend. Will start a tear down and take plenty of pics. Thanks.

Going over this weekend. Will start a tear down and take plenty of pics. Thanks.

Smart move and they are really easy to take apart and re finish. Get yourself some stove cement as I am sure it will need it. I would re gasket it as well and the sizes can be found in the manual located here.
http://www.wood-stove.org/assets/Dutchwest-Federal-Airtight-Manual.pdf

The back part of the stove can be replaced with a piece of steel, you will just have to drill some holes.
What condition is the refractory fiber board in?Be very careful in removing it as they become very brittle.
If you have any questions you can PM me or just post here because there are a few that have used/rebuilt and love these stoves.
If you need a new cat I would get one from woodstock or here.
http://catcombustor.mybisi.com/product/model-consolidated-dutchwest

These clog a little more but you can vacuum them off as needed. good luck

Still haven't seen what's under that top. THAT will tell the story. Innere top replacement w/catalyst can easily run as much as an NC-30. Chew on THAT with your wisdom teeth.

more pics. Inside right shield has a pronounced crack, inside top view looks like something is missing/broken, outside top view shows cat is toast. Next top view: horizontal rod rotates but is connected to nothing. Could be the broken/missing piece? All of the gaskets are gone. Not sure what else is missing.
Do I start looking for a different unit and turn it into scrap?

Attachments

• side2.JPG
    side2.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 606
  • top_inside2.JPG
    top_inside2.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 599
  • top-inside3.JPG
    top-inside3.JPG
    175.2 KB · Views: 639
  • top-outside2.JPG
    top-outside2.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 633
  • top-outside3.JPG
    top-outside3.JPG
    270.8 KB · Views: 677
  • top-outside4.JPG
    top-outside4.JPG
    196.3 KB · Views: 571
Stove looks abused to me. Run hard without the cat. For the hundreds it would take to bring it back into shape, I'd invest in a new stove or at least a modern, used one in prime condition.

more pics. Inside right shield has a pronounced crack, inside top view looks like something is missing/broken (You are missing the whole catalyst assembly parts 6, 9, 21, 8, and 54), outside top view shows cat is toast. Next top view: horizontal rod rotates but is connected to nothing (you are missing the damper linkage Parts 24). Could be the broken/missing piece? All of the gaskets are gone. Not sure what else is missing.
Do I start looking for a different unit and turn it into scrap?

I sent you a PM with a manual. If you scroll down to page 30 you will see the parts I am referring to. At this point I would scrap it as there is no telling what else is wrong with it.

Ther last one of these I did was between $700 and $800. Not out of the question, but if it were to happen again in a few years, you'd be hatin' life. Generally, I've found that if you intend to make it run 24/7 all winter long, there's a good chance you'll be doing this all again at some point. Could be 5 yr.s, could be 10 or more. Maybe look at other stoves that don't have all this stuff, unless it's for part time use only, in which case maybe go for it.

All very good advice...Thank you. Switching gears to look for a decent (used?) stove.

Ther last one of these I did was between $700 and $800. Not out of the question, but if it were to happen again in a few years, you'd be hatin' life. Generally, I've found that if you intend to make it run 24/7 all winter long, there's a good chance you'll be doing this all again at some point. Could be 5 yr.s, could be 10 or more. Maybe look at other stoves that don't have all this stuff, unless it's for part time use only, in which case maybe go for it.

Very interesting on your rebuild price. I had a VC FA288CCL Dutchwest in good condition I sold 5 years ago for $400. Last week I rebuilt a 15 year old 1997 Lopi Pioneer Bay wood pellet stove for a friend for about $750 including my labor. Lopi wood pellet stoves are a very good make just like the Dutchwest, both have been around for years. So we can debate which is better but comparing good quality stoves is important. Now that Lopi wood pellet stove is worth $1200 on the used market! See rebuilt pic here > https://www.hearth.com/gall/v/PelletStoves/1997LopiPioneerPelletStove.jpeg.html

Was that $700-$800 all for parts and paint for the Dutchwest?

Maybe save the pellet chatter for the pellet forum? They are really different markets.

Maybe save the pellet chatter for the pellet forum? They are really different markets.

I agree but not all pellet chatter.

I did own a Dutchwest and sold it for $400. Do you know what a used DW is going for these days?

That's a broad question. What's a Ford sell for today?

Reactions: Defiant
I agree but not all pellet chatter.

I did own a Dutchwest and sold it for $400. Do you know what a used DW is going for these days?

Anywhere from $200 - $2,000.

Reactions: Defiant
Status
Not open for further replies.