Construction debris

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dafattkidd

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 11, 2007
Long Island
hey guys,

I'm new to the forum and the world of wood burning stoves and I'd love some input. What's the deal with burning construction debris? I've heard a few mixed reviews. I have access to a lot of oak and pine from construction sites (oak is unfinished flooring and molding). Can I burn that stuff in my Napoleon 1402 wood burning insert? What are the concerns? I've heard too hot, too dry, too much creosote. I've also heard it's fine. Both from pretty credible sources. What's the deal? Thanks a lot.

If it is wood - it'll burn....

Things to avoid - anything painted or finished, or any pressure treated lumber. (bad ju-ju)

If the wood is clean & dry, burn it.

It will burn HOT - so use with some caution, kinda like burning pallet lumber. Don't overload.

It may be best to mix a little in with your usual load.

I've also heard that plaster dust on wood will smell awful. I hope that's not true - because I've got a ton of old lath laying around begging to be burnt. ;-)

SOOPAH,

Thanks man. I'll probably mix it like you said. Burn baby burn!

This wood is much drier than cordwood, it will burn VERY hot. Used with care and mixed with cord wood it is fine as long as it's not painted. If you burn a stove full of this wood you will likely have a runaway fire that is uncontrollable and definitely risk overfiring the stove. Be careful and it will be ok.

Burning MDF, pressed board, etc. is not good. Fumes are toxic.

Yes, the lath board is choice stuff. Have lath that has been drying in my walls for 85 years. Managed to get about 1.5 cords worth from a home remoldeling project. I have not burned the plaster, although the lathe is covered in its dust. haven't smelled anything bad. Works great for getting the temp fairly quickly in my soapstone stove.

Soopah 27 said:
If it is wood - it'll burn....

I've also heard that plaster dust on wood will smell awful. I hope that's not true - because I've got a ton of old lath laying around begging to be burnt. ;-)

Hey, who is that guy in the Avatar?
Since you are Canadian, maybe you can be forgiven, but the welcome message on the forum says:
"Any photos or avatars should be hearth or home related - Like no GW Bush pics, etc…"

I guess that is actually an invitation, especially if he is drinking a near-beer.

Thanks guys. This forum rules.

I burn almost all 3/4" hardwood flooring scraps ... with a nepolean 1101 too!!!!

I think I'm gonna write an article in the wiki soon on how to safetly do it

Status
Not open for further replies.