Consumer Reports Firewood Tips

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The UNH lady is right that's for sure. I insure a few local loggers and firewood guys. And I can't believe 1. How hard it is to find wood and 2. What they're getting for it. Going rate is 350 to 400 from a reliable source.
I'm kicking myself for passing on a grapple load this spring for 600. I could have turned a nice profit.

The market for lowgrade wood is pretty hot now in the Northeast, and the mills are paying record prices. That's going to translate into higher prices for consumers.

Im glad we have 50 acres of wood. Just costs a few gallos of gas and sweat.

~ Phil

Eric Johnson said:
The market for lowgrade wood is pretty hot now in the Northeast, and the mills are paying record prices. That's going to translate into higher prices for consumers.

We are getting ready to switch over to producing biomass(chips ,sawdust, and mulch) from the massive amount of raw material we haul. By spring I should know what direction we are heading. Biomass is heading towards fetching a higher dollar than firewood.
Blocking,pallet cut stock and rail ties are the highest $ I have ever seen. These markets will leave very little wood left in the forest for scroungers.It wouldn't hurt for anyone who can, to get as far ahead with their supply as possible. The future of wood as a fuel for ethanol, power plants,commercial heating, and pellets is very bright and anything left for firewood will comand top dollar.

Status
Not open for further replies.