Control Board or Combustion Motor?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

New England Heat

Nov 11, 2014
Moodus CT, USA
I've got a 2008 Travis Astoria Bay pellet insert that has just recently started a strange way of doing: On initial startup it all goes normally except that on switchover to run the #2 (vacuum) fail light comes on after about 15-20 seconds. If Iimmediately turn it off and then on again (it's in manual mode) it will again go through the startup and then to on all without a problem or fault. It will continue to run fine the rest of the day (on and off on manual).
I have cleaned, checked and verified that the usual culprits are not causing the fault (it runs perfectly after the initial startup). I'm thinking it's either the control board or the combustion motor. (Note: on initial startup, when switched from start to run the comb motor sounds "different" and the flame is lazy - low fan speed I think.)
Thoughts appreciated.

Sounds like a cold balky motor not getting to speed. Does it have any oil ports? If not may need a new motor. Have you tried with the stove off, giving the fan a spin by hand to see if it will spin freely or almost instantly stop?

Reactions: JDenyer236
Sounds like a cold balky motor not getting to speed. Does it have any oil ports? If not may need a new motor. Have you tried with the stove off, giving the fan a spin by hand to see if it will spin freely or almost instantly stop?

Hey, Thanks for the reply. Actually the motor runs fine during the startup it's only when it shifts to run that it seems to run slow (too slow to create adequate vacuum). I know that on startup it's on max voltage (115 vac) and on run (#3 heat level) it drops back to 105 vac or something like that. That's why I'm thinking it is the control board as in the solid state motor control circuitry is not working correctly when the board is not warmed up. Also, after the first startup (the one that ends with the #2 fault light, auger shutdown etc.) everything including the comb fan works fine on all heat settings.
Thanks again for your input.

I had a garage stove that the exhaust fan was acting poorly till it would get good and warm. They nursed till season ended and replaced.

Sure sounds like a gummy worn out motor to me. Check the voltage at the board during the first start up, if it's 115v then you know the motor is likely going.

Status
Not open for further replies.