Conversion from Wood Burning Fireplace to a Gemini

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Satchmo05

Nov 7, 2022
Kansas
Hello everyone,

This is my first post on this site!

I have a 30 year old Majestic 42” wood burner (with gas starter) that I am wanting converted to an Astria Gemini 35” direct vent with blower and standard facade.

I am trying to gauge whether the quote I received for full removal / installation labor plus materials is in the ballpark of reasonable or not. The quote I received was approximately $7400 (exclusive of hearth work needed). What are your thoughts?

Appreciate all replies in advance!

Last edited:
Did the dealer give you an actual breakdown of the costs? From experience, I can tell you that it will take at least one full day (8 hours) with a two man crew to remove the old unit & replace it. Not sure what you’re paying for the unit, venting, & accessories, but loading the unit, accessories, venting with all the install supplies in the truck, & getting them to you and spend a full day for the install, I don’t think that price is unreasonable.

No, it was a lump sum offer. What I provided here was just the standard Gemini unit with single speed blower and remote control. Optional features not included.

Perhaps a better way to phrase the same question - what is a reasonable price range for the labor hours only to remove a wood burner and install a vented gas fireplace?

I can’t answer that with any accuracy, since I know nothing about the labor rates in your area. I told you how many hours it will take, but the cost will be determined by the hourly overhead rate charged by your dealer.