Convert Whitfield pellet stove from insert to free standing.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JKC

Jan 1, 2015
ILL.
Hi,

I am wondering if you can convert a Whitfield Advantage II pellet stove insert to free standing? What difference there is between the two. I have not been able to see the back of the insert to see the difference compared to a free standing. I have found one for a decent price but if it cannot be done I will keep looking. This is going in my barn.

Thanks,

The biggest issue I can see is that you lose some of the protective covers (sheet metal) around the back and sides. Because of that, you have an additional risk of something catching on fire if it comes in contact with (or even comes near) the stove in those areas. Now, that said, it will likely function no differently in terms of igniting, running, etc., than if it were a free standing unit. I have a Whitfield Quest insert that I replaced with a Quad Santa Fe only because the Santa Fe had an ignitor, could run on a thermostat, etc. I am moving it to a large garden shed where I will do some work on weekends during the winter , where I will place it on a hearth I'm building out of pavers (in case an ember pops out). Would I do that in the house? No! But the shed will not have flammables stored in it, is away from the house, and is, well, a shed. You do have some increased risk, and you bear that entirely on your own. But in my case, I'm willing to do it. Whatever you decide is up to you.

With the price of liquid fuels being so low I am seeing a large number of pellet and multifuel stoves for sale and at some very good prices. Having to travel to check out a stove is not much $$ but more time.
I don't know what part of Ill your from but something that can burn corn would be a good option as that state is one of the largest producers of corn.

Status
Not open for further replies.