converting old martin fireplace to wood burner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

im so confused

Oct 6, 2014
ohio
so im in need of some knowledgable advise. i recently moved into a prefab home 1200 sq that has a martin sc36 fireplace. i want to rip out the fireplace prefab metal thing all together and install instead a free standing wood burner with 6 in flue pipe. what i was planning was to simply remove martin, and place new stove in place and run double wall 6 in out of new stove and directly thru the martin 8 inch double wall all the way up thru ceiling and out of roof and leave the existing chimney structure in place.
is this possible? i know the martin S series flue is only 1700 deg rated and the new 6 inch is 2100 deg rating. so i want to be safe, but in trying to avoid ripping out old chimney and restructuring roof to fit smaller pipe size.

With out seeing it i cant say for sure but i doubt that will work. By double wall i am assuming you are referring to a class a chimney correct? If so i dont see how you could support it properly inside the old chimney. but post some pics and give some more details.

Another thing to consider with a modular home is how much height can you get for your chimney? Most modern EPA stoves want at least 15 feet of chimney for the proper draw. Are you talking about putting a SS flex liner inside that 8" chimney?

I don't think I explained my situation very well. I have a fireplace that is in the center of the home and had basicly a 24 inch by 7 foot box built around it. I've taken 3 of the 4 walls down to actually add floor space to main room and left the third because it is the wall that separates the main room from kitchen. All non weight bearing.
What I'm left with is the old fireplace and from the top of it is a 11 inch wide S series stovepipe/ chimney that runs upward thru a very stable fire box and out thru roof into a stable chimney with cap. No leaks.
What I was wanting to do was to cut off the S series stove pipe about an inch below the fire box, and from the new wood burner, run all 6 inch class a stove pipe straingt up and thru the center of the S series, and stop it flush under the outside cap where the S series stops. I'm sure I could tack weld a few pieces of stabilizing shims to the A class, so that it didn't slap around inside the S series.

Basicly I wanna just use the stable existing and use the A class like a sleeve.

Any pro/coins?

How do you want to support the stovepipe from below once you cut it off and remove the fireplace? Have you talked to your local building/fire inspector and your home insurance?
What I'm left with is the old fireplace and from the top of it is a 11 inch wide S series stovepipe/ chimney that runs upward thru a very stable fire box
Are there two fireplaces? Pics would really help.

Basicly I wanna just use the stable existing and use the A class like a sleeve.

Any pro/coins?

The OD of 6" class A is going to be 8". That won't fit in 8" triple wall (12" OD). Even if it did, supporting the new pipe presents an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.