Converting Wood to Gas/Heat & Glo Recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Fraziershe

Mar 15, 2018
Alabama
We are looking at converting our wood burning fireplace over to gas. We have looked at the direct vent gas inserts and fireplaces by Heat & Glo. What would be the better way to go, Heat & Glo Direct Vent Gas Inserts or the Heat and Glo Direct Vent 6000CLX?
FP.jpg

The LEAST expensive route is the Insert, IF one will fit into your ZC Box.
That will take about 4 hours to complete with a two-man crew.
You will have a decent amount of heat, but probably a very small viewing area...
To install a ZC Gas Fire Place will take a two-man crew at LEAST 8 hours, maybe longer.
The price will probably be more than DOUBLE, but you will have a bigger viewing area & probably more heat output.

The LEAST expensive route is the Insert, IF one will fit into your ZC Box.
That will take about 4 hours to complete with a two-man crew.
You will have a decent amount of heat, but probably a very small viewing area...
To install a ZC Gas Fire Place will take a two-man crew at LEAST 8 hours, maybe longer.
The price will probably be more than DOUBLE, but you will have a bigger viewing area & probably more heat output.

Thank you for your input! To install the 6000 CLX, one place mentioned that they would have to remove the mantel to install and another company never mentioned it. I am hoping that they do not have to remove it since we just had the room painted.

I think we are leaning towards the 6000 CLX in order to allow more heat throughout the house.

The 6000CLX is a REALLY nice unit. I have a 6000TRX-I which I wish was upgradable to the features of the CLX, but no...
If your ZC box is on an outside wall, many places will take an outside route (removing siding, cutting thru the sheathing & studs)
to remove & reinstall WITHOUT moving the mantel.
If you have an interior install, they probably have no choice

The 6000CLX is a REALLY nice unit. I have a 6000TRX-I which I wish was upgradable to the features of the CLX, but no...
If your ZC box is on an outside wall, many places will take an outside route (removing siding, cutting thru the sheathing & studs)
to remove & reinstall WITHOUT moving the mantel.
If you have an interior install, they probably have no choice

Just purchased the 6000CLX. They said they shouldn’t have to remove the mantel. Install is scheduled for the 27th so we will see how it all goes.

Just have to get an electrician to hook it up. They don’t do that part!

Thanks for your input!

Reactions: DAKSY