Cooking and heating with a woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

magiriano

I had no ideea this forum exists and I posted a reply on arborist site that turned into a new thread.
I am tired and very upset about my German Shepperd that`s been missing since Dec31 to start fiddling with my computer and make a new post.But if the mods want to feel free to repost. This is what we use to heat up the entire place.Granted is less than 500sq ft but with less than 2 milk crates of wood/day we get a constant 22 degrees Calsius.
I am a newbie so don`t hate me if something similar it`s been posted here before and rather give me the link.
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=59274

wow man, nice read.
i can't wait to get home to chk the pics. (again i am blocked at work)
welcome to the hearth.

Alex you have a pretty nice small masonry heater and cooktop there. Have a glass of tuica for me.

Alex, beautiful set up. There must be great satisfaction getting heat for home and food all from one place. Please share your favorite recipe with us. Many of us here like to, or would like to, cook with our stoves. In the link you provided, the first photo shows a crate full of wood - and a cat. Exactly, how do you know when a cat is seasoned enough to burn? :)

Alex,

Please give us more details on the masonry heaters. I really like the concept, and want to hear more about them. Did you build them yourself? It looks like the second stove is a tile heater, if this is one you constructed, where did you get the tiles? It would be good to see a larger photo of that second heater.

Thanks and welcome to Hearth.com!

drewmo said:
Alex, beautiful set up. There must be great satisfaction getting heat for home and food all from one place. Please share your favorite recipe with us. Many of us here like to, or would like to, cook with our stoves. In the link you provided, the first photo shows a crate full of wood - and a cat. Exactly, how do you know when a cat is seasoned enough to burn? :)
Favourite receipe?Hmmmmmm anything baked or roasted.Since it`s slow heat anything cooked in the pizza oven tastes almost as good as Southern BBQ. It cooks on low even heat like a crock pot and unless you forget it for more than 24 hrs it never gets burned.I once forgot a big red beet root in for over 24 hrs and it did shrunked to the size of a big carrot however I peeled it and ate it and it wasn`t dry or burned.
It`s normal to put un a pan 2-3 lbs of chops,carrots,potatoes,and greens when I go out in the morning and it`s just right 5 hrs later for lunch.Or to do the exact same thing after lunch and have a nice dinner.We have a lady that makes cabbage rolls uncooked for us sometimes and we live the pot in over night.Never had better tasting ones before. We love the "set it and forget it" deal, with 2 screaming and kicking 4 and 5 yo saves us a lot of time. Of course you can also grill with the pizza oven all you have to do is use longer logs or just push the fire right under it.
I got the cat when she was so tiny I was worried she might get eaten by mice. She slept on my pillow untill one day when she decided to become a strictly outdoor cat. She loves to show me she`s hard working by bringing her captured mice, lizzards, snakes to the front door. Don`t think she`s seasoned yet.

daleeper said:
Alex,

Please give us more details on the masonry heaters. I really like the concept, and want to hear more about them. Did you build them yourself? It looks like the second stove is a tile heater, if this is one you constructed, where did you get the tiles? It would be good to see a larger photo of that second heater.

Thanks and welcome to Hearth.com!
If you read the entire post on AS somewhere I did mentioned that I did buid the stove that I am using now myself. The pictures of the one I posted was the one I had in last year that was build by a gipsy woodstove maker with me as a helper.
In fact I learned a whole new way of building while living in Europe,my favourite building material for walls is no longer wood studs and drywall but ecological mud bricks.It`s way harder (labour wise) and messier than building with wood, takes way longer since you build in 3-4 stages so the walls won`t collapse or bow under it`s own weight,the bricks take awhile to cure/season on the sun heat being turned over from time to time and covered if it rains, however it`s cheap(you use the dirt from the construction site mixed with cement to stabilize it) saves a ton of money on cooling/heating because it`s the perfect insulator and it`s very ecological. Funny thing is the wood frame constuction is just catching up here and is very well paid therefore the rich want Canadian woodframe constructions which keeps me pretty busy however I built my cabin/vacation home that became a permanent home now for us out of mud bricks however with wood framed ceiling (rafters/trussers) and roof which I believe is the best of both styles
The tiles are available at some lumber yards,in some area in Romania they`re people making them just like pottery.Do a google search on terra cotta tiles,I`ve seen them in Greece and Italy I`m quite sure you can order them in the States or Canada.However the masonry is a bit complicated since you cannot use cement but a certain clay mixed with sand . It`s actually a proffesion here and it takes awhile to learn all the ins and outs of it because woodstoves are built different than natural gas stoves that had relatively no smoke and wood stoves that can be converted or use both wood and natural gas are a whole other deal.
It took me months and building/demolating/rebuilding several stoves before I found the perfect receipe for them and simply watching how it is built/build reading the books won`t cut it. Don`t forget that the smoke and the heat that normally tends to go up have to be controlled to go thru a maze that goes up and down,swirls thru 15-20 yards of tunnel 6" X 6" wide before it goes thru the chimney almost cold. So it isn`t easy to make a fire send it`s smoke out that way instead of simply coming out inside the room.BTY, in the fall or when you make the first fire in it(basically when the stove is cold) it does send smoke inside the house for about an hour sometimes more,and lots of it too until the tunnels get warmed up and the smoke obediently follows the right path.What is adviced is that the first fire for the season to be staretd when it`s cold outside and to preheat the room with another source so the smoke would tend to go towards the chimney where is colder.
Although I know to build them and I built quite a few for my clients, I didn`t think that terra cotta tile stove would go well with the very modern style interior on my cabin.I like modern industrial style interiors in slate, gray or rich burgundy, leather furniture and solid oak desk/diner table, aluminum and glass, stainless steel,bamboo blinds and . So I disguised the stove so will look just like the walls (most of it is actually inside the walls ) and it`s funny to watch my guests looking for the heating source.
I like rustic looks too but I keep it on my patio and the exterior appearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.