Don`t expect your wood supplier to know his product!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRanger

Nov 19, 2007
British Columbia
I am starting a new thread on this topic because the last one on this has deteriorated to name calling,and that is enough of that!!

Did you know that many people delivering CSD firewood don`t even use it to heat their own homes? So, to many of them a tree that has been down for a year and recently bucked and split is well-seasoned. Firewood that has been split and laying in a pile in the rain to them is not only seasoned but ready to burn. You have to think for yourself,many of your suppliers are just as ignorant about seasoned wood, dry wood ,and wood that has been properly stored as the newbies on this site. That is a fact!!

Basically you just can`t buy firewood ready to burn when you want it in the middle of winter,unless you are willing to burn mostly pallets. On the other thread I stated-"buy green" and you wont be disspointed. It is just common sense, and also a little less expensive.

So if you are a newbie and planning to install an insert or a stove this summer-Buy Your Wood Now. not after the installation.

:long: And sped and downeast-stop.. There are no winners in that kind of behaviour. I know,been there, and still think I should be apologizing to BB. Think before you type, otherwise, nothing but regrets.....

Good post . As a vendor for 21 years the costs associated with storing wood in a building under FULL cover will not be recovered in an amount of time that would justify the expense. Further more a tarp will leak and most endors just don't care. So even seasoned wood from a vendor will not be burnable for several weeks unless the buyer can get the wood inside heated storage. The best advice I can give is the same as sonnyinbc, buy your wood at least 1 year ahead of time. I tell my customers "my wood (the wood you are about to have delivered) has been stored 6 months to 1.5 years in log form and fresh cut just before delivery". I very rarely lose a customer due to telling them this but they may get some drier wood elsewhere to mix with the wood I deliver.

Sonny, with a cooler head this morning, I hear what you're saying, I didn't mean to lose my temper. Not trying to defend name calling, but yesterday happened to be the anniversary of the day my uncle was killed in combat, so when downeast went there on me, I lost it. And yes I agree buy green if you can, all the time, I'm sure not arguing that, if you can't don't buy seasoned from the cheapest guy, expect to pay a BIG premium for it.

LEES WOOD-CO said:
Good post . As a vendor for 21 years the costs associated with storing wood in a building under FULL cover will not be recovered in an amount of time that would justify the expense. Further more a tarp will leak and most endors just don't care. So even seasoned wood from a vendor will not be burnable for several weeks unless the buyer can get the wood inside heated storage. The best advice I can give is the same as sonnyinbc, buy your wood at least 1 year ahead of time. I tell my customers "my wood (the wood you are about to have delivered) has been stored 6 months to 1.5 years in log form and fresh cut just before delivery". I very rarely lose a customer due to telling them this but they may get some drier wood elsewhere to mix with the wood I deliver.

Now there is a big difference, you hit the nail on the head. Telling your customer exactly what they are getting and being up front with them is very important. I can see why they keep coming back. I've found a guy this year that operates like that, said I just ran this through the processor with the conveyor aimed at the truck. Honesty goes a long way in every business. This is green wood I'm buying from him...bring on next winter!!

All the folks who sell wood around me know their product.

"It's firewood, and ya burn it"

As for seasoned, if it is cut into logs and then bucked and left to sit in a pile it is seasoned.

If it is split and thrown into a pile it is cured.

It is always wet and will need to be stacked for at least 9 months to 1 year for the cured variety. Of course if you buy rounds you gotta do all the work.

This information comes from a fellow who has lived here all his life and never had a complaint about the quality of his product.

J.P.

I agree that green is the only way to go. My question is how to ensure you're getting the size split you want, type of wood you want, and the full cord amount you ordered. I found a guy last year who sold me two cord green CSD, full cords, clean hard wood, but really big splits. This month, I'm going to be looking to order 4 cord, but I want smaller splits to fit in my F400, which is new this year. Sure, you can ask the dealer for nothing but good hard wood, split to a reasonable size to fit in your stove. But once the guy backs in to your driveway with a huge truck full of splits, it seems to me the buyer gets one chance to approve of the quality of wood, volume of wood, and size of splits by jumping in the back of the truck and taking a look. But all you're seeing is what's on the top of the pile for you to see. Once its dropped on your property, you're kind of stuck with it as far as I can see. So, there's other ways for a dealer to get the best of the customer, other than selling wet wood that's advertised as seasoned. Buyer beware I guess, and stick with the good one once you find him.

J-Man said:
I agree that green is the only way to go. My question is how to ensure you're getting the size split you want, type of wood you want, and the full cord amount you ordered. I found a guy last year who sold me two cord green CSD, full cords, clean hard wood, but really big splits. This month, I'm going to be looking to order 4 cord, but I want smaller splits to fit in my F400, which is new this year. Sure, you can ask the dealer for nothing but good hard wood, split to a reasonable size to fit in your stove. But once the guy backs in to your driveway with a huge truck full of splits, it seems to me the buyer gets one chance to approve of the quality of wood, volume of wood, and size of splits by jumping in the back of the truck and taking a look. But all you're seeing is what's on the top of the pile for you to see. Once its dropped on your property, you're kind of stuck with it as far as I can see. So, there's other ways for a dealer to get the best of the customer, other than selling wet wood that's advertised as seasoned. Buyer beware I guess, and stick with the good one once you find him.

I have the same problem with CSD, too many monster splits that won't work in my stove. I've had guys say they'd come back and split down the too big ones for me, but splitting splits is really not hard to do yourself manually, and I rather like it. The biggest knottiest hardest honkers I can't do myself I schelp over to a neighbor with a big splitter when I accumulate a stack. Alternatively, plunk down a few hundred for a small electric splitter. You don't need a big powerful expensive job to split splits. The more you do it yourself, the more you'll have it the way you like it, need it, want it.

I agree that its no big deal to break down the bigger splits some more. I also have been doing it since my new stove purchase, and don't mind the exercise. But, sometimes when its below zero out you don't feel like chopping wood. I'm just pointing out that its another way that the dealer can boost his margin at your expense.

After my "seasoned" wet wood experiences, I have found that buying what they called seasoned in early May, stacking with top cover only, gives me 20% or less moisture content by October. I have a big yard (for the city) so I can't store more than a couple of cords so I need to buy yearly.

Status
Not open for further replies.