Cooking ON a pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hinkle

Jan 3, 2013
Portersville, PA
Curious if anyone has tried since this original thread, with a little variation.
I brew tea on our stove all the time but got a dutch over for Christmas this year, and some other cast cookware. We cook all the time on my in-laws top loading wood stove Harman with a grill insert. Makes some great steaks, but those run much hotter, inside and out. Steaks on the grill insert and dutch oven on top with legs on the pot and without.
Running manual mode, setting 4, and using a meat thermometer it hovered around 180*F on top of my P43. Just curious if anyone has given it a try and their results.
We eat venison tartar so complete doneness isn't a real worry but don't want to waste good meat. Don't mind being a guinea pig either.

Oh wow. My stove only gets hot to the touch on the front corners and glass.

The top of my stove does not get hot enough
to cook. Don't even think it would keep a pot of coffee hot