Cooking or grilling with your stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think you would have to leave the door open? I was thinking of modifying a grill to keep it above the coals, and then throwing a steak on and shut the door for 7 mins, then flip and repeat.

Anyone know how high off the coals it should be for optimal cooking?

I'm sure you could shut the door while cooking, but you need a few minutes open to flip the steaks, etc.
How far from the coals can vary - depends how hot the are, and how you like your steak. In my fireplace it would be 2-4 inches. The set-in grill I have is pretty high up, so I need really hot coals for a steak, but cooler ones for chicken or baking potatoes.

Good call on the ceramic tiles. That would probably work nicely for keeping the heat down a bit..and hopefully prevent scratching. Anyone know if anything could be put under the tiles to keep them fromt shifting around on the stove?

This thread gives me another reason to grab an IR thermometer: "cooking surface temps". :lol:

I thought of this "cooking on your stove" thread from the other day when I just saw this cool ad here on hearth. Anyone ever know anybody with one of these? Pretty darn cool if you ask me!
medtopleft_bread_pizza_steam.2.JPG

Wow! Yeah, that is cool!

Anyone know where to get those ceramic trivets? I thought I've seen a few pics posted here. They're not solid...but have somewhat of a design to them.

I cook on the woodstove during power outages, which were not uncommon last year. I usually make my oatmeal on the stove on weekend mornings, and sometimes a pot of soup. For regular cooking, I'm too lazy to carry stuff into the living room for cooking, and I might as well justify the new kitchen stove by cooking on it.

That cookstove is lovely.

Status
Not open for further replies.