Cooking thread, anyone?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Got a 6 pointer on opening day yesterday; so tenderloin and back straps for venison Wellington, steaks to marinade and grill, and scraps for sausage, hot sticks and brats. 😁

Reactions: thewoodlands
Can’t beat fresh peppers. Still they are so easy to freeze and good in dishes like those. They do get soggy when microwave thawed and then not so good for some uses.

Slow roasted duck for Thanksgiving this year. After the meal I roasted the carcasses, simmered them into duck stock all night, and made ramen today. I'm so full. Check out the skin and also the color on the stock...🤤

1000000501.jpg1000000500.jpg1000000516.jpg1000000513.jpg1000000514.jpg

Our turkey carcass gets reduced to broth too. It gets thrown into old mason jars with reused lids and frozen.

Reactions: ispinwool
Have you tried roasting the carcass first? I've found it adds a nice layer of flavor. Just blast it at 350 for like 30 to 45 min. Worth the effort!

I have half a mason jar of duck fat to use this week too. I'm thinking some potatoes and maybe onion soup.

Caw is your wife Japanese? That looks like pretty legit Ramen. Very similar to the Ramen my buddies wife (from Okanawa) makes. Looks Awesome.

Nope we're just regular euro mutts from New England. Thanks though! I just really enjoy cooking and showing my kids what good food is. They have good little palettes for elementary school.

Smoked turkey!! It took 3.5 hours for an 18# bird. Skip the shears. You need a sharp heavy knife to spatchcock birds of this size.

E93C40B8-7FD6-49ED-952A-1D710B044E7E.jpeg 355B435A-31FE-48F1-8340-25AC756F532C.jpeg

Oh man, what was the ratio of what he ate vs what he ended up wearing?

Looks like he had a great time! Lol

It's hardly my own cooking but we went for omakase tonight. Was delicious. It's our anniversary dinner 1.5 months later. Parents with young kids will attest to being late or missing events lol.

1000000526.jpg

Gingerbread house party today. A dozen kids will each decorate their own house!

IMG_8824.jpeg

I just dropped a pork loin, rubbed with Nashville Southern sweet heat and Cajun spices, wrapped in bacon into the smoker. Trying out some Smokin Pecans pellets.

Pics when I pull it.

Reactions: EbS-P
I am curious what folks are doing for their Christmas Day dinner. I have a standing rib roast ready to go this year. Have done Beef Wellington and turkey.

My in-laws make homemade pork dumpling soup. My wife and kids go help make the pasta a few days before from scratch then they make the broth from scratch with a few chickens in giant pot. It's my favorite meal of the year!

Reactions: Northern NH Mike
We broke tradition and had an Asian potluck dinner at my son's. My contribution was a first attempt at fresh spring rolls with our own Nuoc Cham and Hoisin peanut dips. They are a bit tricky to make and not as pretty as the pros, but they were tasty and went quickly.

IMG_4174.jpg

Christmas this year was totally different.
Roast leg of fresh Ontario lamb basted with Black currant jelly.
Mashed Potato souffle (cream cheese and sour cream)
Bacon fat roasted potatoes
Harvard beets, roasted green and yellow beans
For dessert Apple crisp with a little Eaglwwingz apple hot sauce
on top when served Not really hot but OH go's so good with Apple Crisp or Apple pie
Only thing left was a little lamb on the bone