Cooking thread, anyone?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
All this wonderful food display and you made toast--lol...Bye the way now I am hungry and made some toast too. lol clancey

I made chicken chasseur tonight in my new braising pan:

1000000935.jpg1000000937.jpg1000000938.jpg1000000939.jpg

Double paw tuck beggar boy spotted:

1000000941.jpg

Reactions: ispinwool
Chili yesterday. Our standard for New Year's Day. And cornbread. No picture. I've already posted it several times. :)

My wife made spanikopita for New Years. It was delish. She makes it more Bulgarian style which is a lot less oily than the Greek style.

Lunch was steak ramen

IMG_2890.jpeg

IMG_2891.jpeg

Tonight’s supper had shrimp instead of steak.
Poached egg and Basil worked out nice.

IMG_2901.jpeg

Is that sriracha sauce?

I heard there was a shortage of the most popular brand but there's no shortage here now. My son loves it. He does his ramen and pho that way. Local stores have lots of different sriracha sauces. The flavors vary quite a bit depending on who makes it and the country it comes from. We have a local Thai store that has about 10 varieties. Myself, I like our homemade sriracha the best. It's less vinegary and has a fuller pepper flavor.

I suspect that bottle will last me a year. It’s not bad though. Home made sounds interesting.

Is that sriracha sauce?

It is. In my book it has only a few uses.
I might be doing it wrong though. What all do you like it on/in? I’ve tried it on standard Chinese take out and stuff, and don’t like it. It’s good to heat up soups and in the right qualities, sushi. I’ve had sushi that has too much sriracha flavor(not heat, too much flavoring in a spicy salmon roll).
What else?

Working up some Chili Pablanos

Pablano Peppers stuffed with queso, dipped in whipped eggs and fried.

Sauce is garlic, onion, tomatoes, chicken bullion, chipotle pepper and cilantro

IMG_2944.jpeg

IMG_2947.jpeg

I made a Satay Chicken dish in the dutch oven on the trivel top of the Alderlea last night. It came out really nice. The recipe is fairly low heat. Add twice the amount of chili flakes if you like it spicier. Serve over rice.

We had it with Asian style braised brussel sprouts. Yum.

Reactions: ispinwool
Had our Friday night pizza ready to go into the oven and it was “Oh crap“! I had forgotten to put in the pizza stone. I like to give it about an hour to get up to temp. Had an idea to try. The oven oven was at 475 but the stove top was at 650. Put the stone on the stove top and watched it heat. In about ten minutes the center part of the stone was at 440 with the outside about 80 degrees cooler. Chucked it in as it was. Will see. I also experimented on the crust with half bread flour and half white whole wheat as well some new cheese that was in the frig. Have no idea what to expect. It’s out and at least it looks pretty good.

07C75A6F-98B2-45C3-BB58-E5F76D3245A7.jpeg

I haven't made pizza all winter and have been hankering to make some. Thanks for the inspiration.

Had our Friday night pizza ready to go into the oven and it was “Oh crap“! I had forgotten to put in the pizza stone. I like to give it about an hour to get up to temp. Had an idea to try. The oven oven was at 475 but the stove top was at 650. Put the stone on the stove top and watched it heat. In about ten minutes the center part of the stone was at 440 with the outside about 80 degrees cooler. Chucked it in as it was. Will see. I also experimented on the crust with half bread flour and half white whole wheat as well some new cheese that was in the frig. Have no idea what to expect. It’s out and at least it looks pretty good.

View attachment 323818
Crispy all the way across?

Saved from disaster. The bottom was crispy all the way across and much of the crust was soft and almost just right. The mix of flours was good enough to do again but not the the tops. Trying work in more whole grains. When my sons were here over the holidays they made a Chicago style caramelized onion pizza that was incredible

Reactions: ispinwool and 30WCF
From the why you can’t take me out in public files…. The wife brought me to a sushi restaurant and they made a beautifully prepared dish. I got fixated on the little orchid/tree/aquarium decoration that they put on the corner of the plate.

438289F8-B567-4D44-A480-2C0D5BD9DC09.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5594.MOV
    10 MB
From the why you can’t take me out in public files…. The wife brought me to a sushi restaurant and they made a beautifully prepared dish. I got fixated on the little orchid/tree/aquarium decoration that they put on the corner of the plate.
No bits of food were flicked from you little catapult so no harm done.

Last edited:
I made fresh Chicken vermicelli noodle salad (Bún Gà Nướng ) yesterday with homemade Nuoc Cham for the dressing using our fresh lime. The lettuce, carrots were also homegrown. This is one of my favorite Vietnamese dishes. I don't mean to brag, but it was delicious.

IMG_4203.jpg

I made fresh Chicken vermicelli noodle salad (Bún Gà Nướng ) yesterday with homemade Nuoc Cham for the dressing using our fresh lime. The lettuce, carrots were also homegrown. This is one of my favorite Vietnamese dishes. I don't mean to brag, but it was delicious.

View attachment 324148
Oh my... Please, do bragg! My second favorite cuisine!

A finely crafted northern vietnamese bún thịt nướng with a perfect nuoc cham brings me many hours of happiness.

Is there a similar marinade for gà?

Oh my... Please, do bragg! My second favorite cuisine!

A finely crafted northern vietnamese bún thịt nướng with a perfect nuoc cham brings me many hours of happiness.

Is there a similar marinade for gà?

We already had some spiced chicken breasts from another dinner, so I just sliced them into strips. Most recipes also marinate the meat/protein first. The recipe I used for the dish was a starting point. I added a teaspoon of chili paste to the nuoc cham and then tweaked the flavor by taste.
https://www.platingsandpairings.com/vietnamese-noodle-salad-bun-bo-xao/

There are no hard rules for making the dish. I found many variations. This pork recipe looks pretty good too.
Here is a more complex variation that I will try someday. Looks tasty.