Cool exterior or cool to touch wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BernardJ

Nov 1, 2018
Wellington, New Zealand
We have a new house build and are looking for a wood burning cooker that is, as much as possible, cool to touch. The reason being that we'd like to operate the cooker in winter and summer. In winter a wetback would be used for space heating by radiator. And in summer, the stove can still be used but not heat up the kitchen/dining rooms. So far I've only been able to find one that in its advertising says its cool to touch - Thermalux brand in Australia. I must admit in Goolging everywhere its generally hard to find any european brands outside of UK.

Thanks.
Bernard

Esse cookstoves are heavily insulated

We have a new house build and are looking for a wood burning cooker that is, as much as possible, cool to touch. The reason being that we'd like to operate the cooker in winter and summer. In winter a wetback would be used for space heating by radiator. And in summer, the stove can still be used but not heat up the kitchen/dining rooms. So far I've only been able to find one that in its advertising says its cool to touch - Thermalux brand in Australia. I must admit in Goolging everywhere its generally hard to find any european brands outside of UK.

Thanks.
Bernard

I’m assuming wetback means something different in NZ, than it does in USA. [emoji3]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wetback_(slur)

Here, people had summer kitchens, or at least a lean-to not within the confines of the house, back when cooking with wood was the normal thing. Seems like any stove in the house, no matter how well insulated, is going to be miserable in summer.

Reactions: Bad LP and rowerwet
If I were looking to buy a cook stove, Esse would be my first stop, and probably my last. I've always admired Esse stoves, I just can't talk my wife into having one.

If I were looking to buy a cook stove, Esse would be my first stop, and probably my last. I've always admired Esse stoves, I just can't talk my wife into having one.
The nicest by far that i have worked on

I would have an outdoor wood oven/stove for the cooking outside of the heating season

Esse seems to be the leader in cook stoves for your area, lots of youtube videos on stove operations, also the esse company have simplified the stove for good heat exchange in the oven, easy cleaning with removable plates for servicing and a nice viewing window that can be covered with a mesh screen to reduce radiant heat when working near the stove for periods of time.