1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Cord birch price?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by minesmoria, Oct 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minesmoria

minesmoria New Member

I can get just over a cord of white birch delivered from a town inland about 100 miles away to the coast for 250 is this a good deal?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. wallis54806

wallis54806 New Member

Loc:
    Northern Wisconsin
    I've noticed that the price of wood depends on where you live. A cord of hardwood here goes for about $80 to $100. I can get CSD oak for about $200 a cord.
  3. dylskee

dylskee Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central MA
    I paid $235. a cord for hard wood and thats on the low end here. It ranges from $235.~$275. a cord here in Massachusetts. The cost of living has gone up about 500% here in the last couple years!
  4. jpl1nh

jpl1nh Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Newfields NH
    Which coast are you on? West Coast; good deal, East Coast, (sigh) okay to feeble deal but what the market might bear, Gulf Coast; bad deal. Falling oil prices should be a consideration in price.
  5. minesmoria

minesmoria New Member

I am on the bc west coast, and like i said the wood is being delivered 100 miles inland where the birch grows.
  6. bdog

bdog New Member

Loc:
    Western NY
    Not sure if it is a good price, but here it is tough to find cords aroun d here, everyone sells by the face cord.

Going rate for a face cord of mixed hardwood (ash, maple, maybe some beech and oak) is in the $85 to $90 range, delivery is almost always extra if the wood guy has to drive more than 5 to 10 miles. And of course prices are going up.

Most of the wood guys are pretty strict about the 16" length, your not gonna find much that is longer. That puts the price of a cord in the $250 to $275 range.

I guess in the end you have to decide is it worth it to you.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.