Cordwood Pricing??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
You should call the guy, see if you can work something out.

If his business is selling wood, last thing he wants to get out is overcharging and short changing folks.

I did and he had me go to the yard and they loaded me up. Thankfully he's within 5 miles of my house.

Okay, did the MC test. Used my MC meter (not all that reliable), measured and weighed a few pieces (find this to be better). Average looks like 28%. Obviously the larger pieces I split to test were the wettest, the average split came in between 22-25%.

Well, at least it's not green...

Green C&S oak can be found for $190 or so around here in S Mass. "seasoned" oak is still about $225-$250. The guys selling actual well seasoned oak want $350 and their supplies are gone by mid-September.

Seems to me that instead of bearing down on wood stove manufacturers and even users that those who are really concerned about air quality could mandate instead the use of current weights and measures enforcement be used to monitor firewood suppliers.

This time of year you're probably better off trying to find kiln dried at decent prices and hope the centers of splits aren't still green.

I’ve contemplated getting in the firewood business to get me through the winter (landscaper in Michigan). After calculating all the numbers and factoring in labor it’s just not worth it. Selling firewood seems like it has to be a byproduct of a main source of income such as being a logger or tree company in order to make any money.

Wood prices vary a lot, I wish I could get wood at the prices my brother in law in PA can.
The best way to see what the local price is that I've found is check Craigslist, they're usually within the normal range of local dealers.