1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Corked Boots

Post in 'The Gear' started by nate379, Apr 6, 2013.

1. nate379

nate379 Guest

Looking to get a set of cocked boots. I end up climbing wood piles while cutting and while I am carefull regular work boots aren't exactly the most "grippy".

I've been seaching online and I'm trying to find something that is just a "regular" steel (or plastic) toe boot. I don't need knee high hooker boots or 28lb firemans gum rubbers.

Not these:

[​IMG]

or these:

[​IMG]

I'm looking for something in the under $200 (with shipping) area. I don't need a pair of boots handcrafted by a 90yr Amish that will take years to get or something so solid it will take a year to break in.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. schlot

schlot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Iowa
    Ever thought about having a standard boot that you like caulked? I think Hoffman boots does this.
  3. StihlHead

StihlHead Guest

Try my favorite logging supply place, Madsen's in WA state: http://www.madsens1.com/

They have several hiking boot type caulks for under $200.

They are spelled caulks, but pronounced 'corks' on the west coast.
    Bigg_Redd likes this.
  4. nate379

nate379 Guest

The steel toe boots I wear everyday cost 22.95$ at Walmart.m I buy a new pair every year or two. Doubt they'd hold up to the spikes.

The Madsen place might be a great place in person but their website doesn't have much on it. I can't find boots at all.
  5. basod

basod Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mount Cheaha Alabama
    Have you considered a set of Wolverines(I've had good luck with the Harison series), and most similar work boots have Vibram soles that'll take boot studs.
    The best set of outdoor work\hiking boots I think ever owned were LLbean with stitched soles they had stud holes - no safety toe unfortunately
    Sportsmansguide.com has a decent selection of work/hunting/hiking crossover type boots as well

Either way I think your feet will thank you if you wrap them in more than $23 boots
    Thistle likes this.
  6. Flamestead

Flamestead Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Windsor County, Vermont
    I started using a pair of Hoffmans this winter and am very happy with them,
  7. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    I keep an old pair of Carolina steel toed loggers around with 1/2" shank hex head screws driven into the Vibram soles.Work very well on steep/muddy slopes,walking/climbing & especially nice in winter on ice covered sidewalks,parking lots & other areas.Local businesses frown on me when I walk across their nice wood,tile or carpeted floors however....;) Pretty soon I'll get a regular pair of caulked boots,just havent decided on which ones yet.

Attached Files:

Backwoods Savage and basod like this.
  8. StihlHead

StihlHead Guest

Jeez... man, just click on the online catalog. You will see it all.
  9. nate379

nate379 Guest

Doesn't load up.
  10. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
  11. nate379

nate379 Guest

It just sits there and loads the page and never opens up anything. I tried it on 2 computers and my phone...
  12. StihlHead

StihlHead Guest

It loads for me... comes up in about 10 seconds here. Boots are on pages 56-69.

Try to help you man, and you just complain.
  13. nate379

nate379 Guest

I'm not complaining, just saying it doesn't load up is all.
  14. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I like a good logger's boot for what you describe but don't like steel toed boots at all.
  15. nate379

nate379 Guest

I have a big toe that barely bends and several 10 thousand $$s in hospital receipts from an injury years ago that steel toe boots would have prevented. After that happened I've worn steel toe boots just about to even butter a toast.
  16. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    I started wearing steel toed boots back in the mid-'80's,almost 10 years before employers made it mandatory.I dont even mow the yard without them.
    Ash_403 and TreePointer like this.
  17. nate379

nate379 Guest

18. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
  19. nate379

nate379 Guest

Ordered up a set.

Size 9... is that for your kid? :p
  20. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Wow.... Not everyone is BIGFOOT!!

I know you use an iPhone and my iPad loads it immediately. So??? What's wrong???
  21. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    Took about 3-4 min to load for me
  22. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    Ok, I turned off the part of Norton toolbar add on, that has been causing me problems , and it loaded smack right up
  23. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA

If I wore snowshoes on a daily basis like some do,it'd be impossible for me to climb 40 ft extension ladders,7-8 frames of scaffolding & the occasional tree as part of my occupation.
    HDRock likes this.
  24. nate379

nate379 Guest

Yeah... no thanks!

I get the cold sweats getting up on a 4ft step ladder to change a bulb after I fell off a roof and broke my back. Not that I was very fond of heights before.
    A few weeks ago I had a nightmare that I was falling (happens a few times a month), I guess I grabbed onto the headboard in my sleep and was pulling on it so hard that I broke part of it off. :eek: Could barely walk the next few days cause I had tensed up every part of my body.

Anyhow, should have the boots in a few days, hopefully I ordered in the right size. I traced my feet out on a paper and gave them the measurements.
  25. basod

basod Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mount Cheaha Alabama
    Don't you be insulting my flippers;)
    Size 14's come in handy in the water - not so much when trying to find boots in EEW