Corn is about $150 a ton, why burn pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo-Quad

Hearth Supporter
Feb 3, 2010
Illinois
Is ther much of a difference in heat output? From the looks of a few fireboxes that burn corn, I would say it is dirtier?

Corn can be dirtier than a premium pellet. They create more ash, they have the potential to create clinkers in all stoves and WILL create clinkers in most stoves. Storage can be tricky with the critter issues for some folks. If I had the right stove, I would burn corn if it was $50-$100 cheaper per ton than pellets. Make sure it's dry and clean. (I like corn less than 15% moisture content) You can also get more btus from a pound of corn than you can with pellets according to some folks. I havent seem much of a heat difference when burning in the Europa, but I did see a difference burning corn in a Countryside stove which uses a more typical combustion technology.

I'm switching to pure corn as of this weekend. 150 a ton in my area also.

Corn can vary really widely based on how the growing season was and the moisture content. From a farming standpoint aflotoxin is always a concern when storing corn and other grains. Its a nasty little sucker and can cause some serious problems if you don't store your grain correctly. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aflatoxin

Topshelf said:
I'm switching to pure corn as of this weekend. 150 a ton in my area also.

...I'll take my Sako and raise you and A Bolt........... Sounds like a Guns Galore guy to me.

Just mix some pellets in the corn to reduce the clinker. I mix at about 10% by volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.