Corn? Wheat? Sunflower seeds?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QuadraBurner

Oct 7, 2009
Western ME
I don't see much talk in here about burning fuels other than wood pellets. My stove will burn these alternative fuel types, what are the pros (if any) and cons of burning something like corn? I don't plan to do it any time soon, but since I have the ability and I am new to this I am naturally curious. I would love to hear opinions and experiences.

You can go to www.iburncorn.com to hear a lot about corn burning. I never burned corn in an AE, only pellets. The issues with burning corn can be clinkers, premature rotting of the exhuast pipe and more frequent cleaning. I've only burned corn in 2 stoves.
1. Magnum Countryside. Burned the corn great, plenty of heat. Even with the fuel pot stirrer had to clean out the burn pot once or twice per day.
2. The Europa (New Generation) Burns corn with no clinkers due to the active ash managment. Your AE has a different ash management system but it should still work well.

Hope that helps and let us know if you try it

I was reading on another forum about this guy that burns rice coal in with his wood pellets...especially when it get quite cold out...says that he gets a lot more heat out of his stove when he does that and it seems to run OK that way although he ends up with more ash. He says he's been doing it for three years with no issues...

I'm not sure I'd want to try it in a brand new P68 but if I had an old stove...heck, I would probably give it a whack and see what happens.

timbo said:
I was reading on another forum about this guy that burns rice coal in with his wood pellets...especially when it get quite cold out...says that he gets a lot more heat out of his stove when he does that and it seems to run OK that way although he ends up with more ash. He says he's been doing it for three years with no issues...

I'm not sure I'd want to try it in a brand new P68 but if I had an old stove...heck, I would probably give it a whack and see what happens.

We tried burning straight rice coal in our Europa. It was the only stove I would trust to even try it, for various reason. It fed the coal fine, it burned it fine with what seemed like gasification, similar to the jet blue flame you get when burning dried corn. The ash management system even got rid of the ash. The issue was the ash management system would not get rid of the ash fast enough. Close, so close. When the season is over, I'm going to try to get Claude at Paromax to make one. Imagine a 95% efficient biomass stove with a coal pot optional? Yummy

timbo said:

pook from this forum has burned coal in his pstove=ithinx

QuadraBurner said:
I don't see much talk in here about burning fuels other than wood pellets. My stove will burn these alternative fuel types, what are the pros (if any) and cons of burning something like corn? I don't plan to do it any time soon, but since I have the ability and I am new to this I am naturally curious. I would love to hear opinions and experiences.

I bought mine last year with that option in mind. All I've been able to find here on the coast is corn, and that's rarely, and it's as much as, or more than, pellets. iburncorn is a great site for info. If things change, I at least have the option.

Status
Not open for further replies.