Cost of a chimney .

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buildingmaint

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jan 19, 2007
Oil City PA
I have been thinking of installing a Englander 13-NC in my basement. Local chimney codes call for manufactures recommended chimney. I want to put in an exterior wall supported class A stainless chimney. I don't want to nor do I have the expertise to install a chimney. So I will have to hire some one to install it for me. What kind of cost am I looking at for chimney installation. I know it varies with local , just would like a ball park . If it would cost over $ 2000.00 it is way way out of the question . I'm looking at around $1500.00 stove , chimney and installation . Stove cost if 50% off a Home Depot $ 300.00 the rest for chimney. Is this a realistic expectation ? Or am I way off ?

Call a chimney guy to come out and give you a written estimate...its the only way you'll know for sure.

I'm inclined to say that $1200 is not going to cover it, my materials for the chimney cost me $1200, another $800 for labor...but my house is alot taller than yours so the run is probably significantly longer...then again your installing it in the basement and you'll probably have to get the tip somewhere around the same level as the peak of your roof anyway, so the costs might be similar.

Call for an estimate, but you're probably over budget. If so consider buying the stove now while you have the cash and its on sale and save the rest so you cna tap it later to do the install.

Just to put you in the ballpark I would say ~$150 for a tee with cap, ~$75 for a termination, and about ~$50/foot on the straight up + labor and supports, etc. So if your chimney needs to be 20 feet tall (just as an example) you are looking at over $1,200 just in vent once you get outside the house (you will need single or double wall black inside the house as well). Now taking labor into affect, you will need to push your upper limit up about $500 to a $1,000.

Get a few (two at least, three if you can) local companies to get you an estimate, as mentioned above.

Status
Not open for further replies.