Cost of Liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JPR597

Hearth Supporter
I got two quotes for a new liner for my woodburning insert, 25', 8" diameter, flexible ss, complete and insulated. One was $979.99, the other was a little over $1800.00. Before I start questioning them on the materials, etc., does anyone have suggestions as to what I should ask? Is there any reason there could be such a difference in cost like maybe, the gauge of the steel? Thank you.

Gauge of material and composition. 304 316 316ti.... Also labor rates vary, some people don't charge what they're worth others aren't worth what they charge. I would ask about years of experience, certifications, insurance etc.

Insulation cost can be over 1/3 of the total liner materials cost. The stove will vent better longer on to a insulated liner, the liner will stay warmer which should decrease build up inside the liner. Insulated liners are usually required to meet UL listing for wood appliances. Not a good idea usually to skip insulation.

Thanks for the info. I have a feeling the lower price quote was without insulation, although I told him. Still yet, in my estimation, one is about $500.00 more than the other. I am not sure what kind on certifications the cheaper "installer" has, but the more expensive one has alot of them and has been in business over 30 years. Maybe I should just pay the extra money and have it done right for sure. I have had the professional one inspect my fireplace before and he is familiar with it. At least he knows the woodburning insert, which I am told is very heavy, has to be moved out to do the job. The cheaper guy never asked me about that and am concerned he will get here and up the price.

get three bids, and pick the middle one. Also ask for a written quote, then its easy to compare apples to apples.

New2smoke said:
I got two quotes for a new liner for my woodburning insert, 25', 8" diameter, flexible ss, complete and insulated. One was $979.99, the other was a little over $1800.00. Before I start questioning them on the materials, etc., does anyone have suggestions as to what I should ask? Is there any reason there could be such a difference in cost like maybe, the gauge of the steel? Thank you.

Hi.....your low price is close but you can do better......some info.........you want to get 316 Ti (Titantium impregmated stainless steel)....not 304 ss or something else but 316Ti. Then compare thicknesses.....the thicker the better....typical thickness is 0.006 inches but some cheaper 0.005 is out there but don't go for it..... Then compare insulation....some is 1/4" thick but you want the 1/2" thick insulation kit with tape, adhesive and wire mesh.

Go here:

http://www.chimneylinerinc.com/

and you'll find a kit consisting of 25 ft of 8" diameter 0.006" thick 316 Ti, top plate with wind screen and chimney cap, tee or stove connector all for $524. The 1/2" insulation kit is another $350..... so.... for a total price of about $875 you get it all.....below even the $980 you were quoted......

Status
Not open for further replies.