costco stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quickrch

Mar 28, 2009
Northern, VA
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11503860

Has anyone gotten or seen one of these yet? i am considering it but had a wood furnace from USStoves and it wasn't the best experience. I realize pellets are a different product but it is the same company. The price seems very nice but I am worried about reliability and how much daily/weekly maintenance this thing will need.

Looked at a Harman advance and it would run us about $3,800. Seems like an aweful lot but I guess it is worth it for the heat.

I am guessing the englander model is a nice one if the costco isn't. I am looking for a bay front because that is what my wife likes.

Looks like a US Stove, I'd look into a used stove, check your local craigslist, month ago got a nice breckwell p23i for $300.
Dont spend $4000, I'd get a whole new heating system if i was spending that much, it would take you many years to recoup the cost

We have a very open floor plan in a newer home with good windows and insulation. Our neighbors have the same house and use the Harmn Accentra and only use the furnace for a few of the coldest days. Now the area is about 3500 square feet. But this is VA and I'll be installing my unit in the middle of the house while our neighbors have theirs on one side of the house. My thinking is if I can get something OK for this winter I can shop or another unit in the off season if we don't like the solution selected. I should have noted that i have a heat pump upstairs so the stove heats a downstairs area of about 2000 square feet. So upstairs the heat pump return is in the hall and recycles any heat from downstairs.

quickrch said:
......I'll be installing my unit in the middle of the house while our neighbors have theirs on one side of the house......

Just curious how that is going to be done.....do you have a center fireplace you're going to put an insert into? Freestanding into a fireplace?

OK, I am not a graphic type. So I hope the diagram below conveys the layout. The fireplace for the neighbors is left of where the L is in livingroom. Their house is warm except for the dining and living rooms. We are putting ours next to a 41" high bar on the sunroom side of the kitchen. I used a dotted line for the half wall/bar. Sunroom has a ceiling fan. Foyer is open to upstairs. Kitchen to Dining room has a normal sized door but the rest of the rooms are open except the office which has french doors.

Attachments

• house.bmp
    570.1 KB · Views: 344
Status
Not open for further replies.