cotton balls are they safe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steeltowninwv

Minister of Fire
Nov 16, 2010
west virginia
cotton ball fire starters ..are they safe to burn in my insert?....dont wanna do the petroleum jelly thing i wanna soak the cottonballs in wax about 2/3 of it covered in wax and the other 1/3 exposed for easy lighting..

Should work fine.

My thinking . . . trees are plants . . . cotton is a plant . . . burn away.

Yep, cotton comes from a plant.
"Well, when those cotton bolls get rotten, you can't pick very much cotton"......
As long as they aren't processed with something environmentally unsafe, should be gooder to go.
Just found this....
"Although some cotton balls are made of 100 percent cotton, they are more likely to be made of synthetic fibers such as rayon, polyester or polypropylene fiber. Cotton balls made from 100 percent cotton will feel different than those made from synthetic fibers"

So, cotton balls aren't always made with cotton. Who knew?

Status
Not open for further replies.